- CooperVision, Inc.
- Pleasanton, California
- The US starting base pay for this role is between $85,850 and $114,466.
- Closing date
- Feb 18, 2023
- Field of specialization
- Materials, Organic, Polymers
- Work Function
- Research-Applied, Research-Basic
- Job Type
- Full time
CooperVision, a division of CooperCompanies (NYSE:COO), is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of soft contact lenses. The Company produces a full array of daily disposable, two-week and monthly contact lenses, all featuring advanced materials and optics. CooperVision has a strong heritage of solving the toughest vision challenges such as astigmatism, presbyopia and childhood myopia; and offers the most complete collection of spherical, toric and multifocal products available. Through a combination of innovative products and focused practitioner support, the company brings a refreshing perspective to the marketplace, creating real advantages for customers and wearers. For more information, visit www.coopervision.com
What We’ll Offer You
At CooperVision, our effort to improve lives begins with our employees. We are committed to developing people as a key global differentiator and our most important asset. We empower employees to succeed, rewarding great thinking and hard work with competitive pay, comprehensive benefits, and with a special focus on wellness. Our commitment to our core values and a diverse, inclusive, employee-centric culture, fuel a deeply engaged, high performing organization. For more information, visit www.coopervision.com
As a Scientist at CooperVision you will play a key role in helping to carry out research, design, synthesis, fabrication, testing of novel polymeric and hydrogel materials and/or processes for contact lens products. You will have the opportunity to help generate and develop new innovations, including improvements to existing contact lens materials, processes and/or drug delivery application. The scientist will take responsibility for designing, planning, and completing experiments to ensure that the data generated is appropriately analyzed and reported. The Scientist will also be expected to support the Chemistry team with activities such as equipment qualifications and deal with hazardous waste (as per regulatory requirements and current policies and procedures) in their assigned work area.
What You Will Do
• Design, develop and implement effective experimental strategies, and execute experiments with minimal supervision.
• Design new functional monomers and polymers.
• Develop new materials for contact lenses based on in-depth understanding of structure-property relationships of polymeric materials.
• Conduct synthesis of designed materials and fabricate contact lenses.
• Perform characterization of chemicals and physical properties of novel materials.
• Document experimental result details on all planned and completed experiments, including raw materials, experimental plans and procedures, data analyses, and conclusions in appropriate formats (laboratory notebook, memo and/or report).
• Analyzes data using statistical techniques and writes technical reports and creates presentations.
• Ability to work on multiple assignments simultaneously.
• Ability to troubleshoot when problems arise.
• Effectively communicates, both orally and written, with internal personnel and external partners.
• Stays informed and educated with technological advances to assist with product development.
• Ensure that Health and Safety requirements are always met and never compromised.
• Works effectively in a team environment.
• Contributes to continuous improvement in own work area.
• Ability to work with external partners where needed.
• Minimal travel required.
What you will bring:
• 0- 2 Years of relevant experience with organic synthesis, polymeric materials, hydrogel fabrication and related drug delivery application.
• Knowledge of polymer chemistry, including free radical polymerization preferred.
• Knowledge of materials, ideally polymeric materials preferred.
• Knowledge of basic statistical techniques and ability to analyze data.
• Highly organized: Proven ability to manage workload effectively and plan accordingly.
• Self-directed: Ability to work independently on multiple, often conflicting, priorities.
• Excellent communication and presenting skills.
• Effective teamwork skills.
• Ability to meet deadlines.
• Ability to read and understand highly technical material.
• Intermediate skill in the use of Excel, Word and PowerPoint. Advanced preferred.
• Ph.D. in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering. with no additional experience required
• Bachelor of Science degree with minimum 3 years’ experience in Chemistry, or related field
• Master of Science degree with minimum 2 years’ experience in Chemistry, or related field
• The individual will be required to work in offices, clean rooms, manufacturing areas and laboratories.
• Some minimal travel abroad may be required.
• Flexibility in working hours is required e.g., to meet deadlines.
• The role will require the individual to come into contact with hazardous materials or working environments. The individual will be required to wear/use the appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) for the task in hand outlined in SOP’s including items such as lab coat, eye protection and gloves. The job requires the handling of materials that come under COSHH guidelines.
The US starting base pay for this role is between $85,850 and $114,466. Your base pay will depend upon many factors, including on your skills, qualifications, experience, and location. All ranges are subject to change.
This position may also be eligible for additional types of compensation and benefits. Your recruiter can share more specifics regarding the total compensation package for this role during the hiring process.
As an employee of Cooper, you'll receive an outstanding total compensation plan. As we believe your compensation goes beyond your paycheck, we offer a great compensation package, medical/dental/vision insurance coverage, 401(k), paid time off for vacation, personal, sick and holidays, paid family leave and many other perks and benefits. Please visit us at www.CooperVision.com to learn more about Coopervision and the benefits of becoming a member of our team.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert