We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate to work on cutting-edge research focused on understanding electrode-electrolyte interfaces in electrochemical production of ammonia.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security. The Spallation Neutron Source (SNS) and the High-Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR) are world-leading facilities and the scientific center of a diverse, international and inclusive neutron scattering community.
As a Postdoctoral Research Associate your work will directly benefit from these facilities and the computational and data analysis expertise at the Center for Nanophase Materials Sciences (CNMS) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
In this position you will be part of a multi-disciplinary and multi-institution team using neutron reflectometry and other complementary techniques to understand electrochemical and photoelectrochemical production of ammonia. In particular, you will contribute to the in-situ characterization of the electrode-electrolyte interface during nitrogen and nitrate reduction processes.
Successful candidates will be selected via a panel interview process. If this position interests, you and you meet the basic qualifications please apply.
- Conduct high-quality research in electrochemistry related to ammonia production. Assist in the development and preparation of proposals. Assist in developing an experimental procedure to study in situ photoelectrochemical processes.
- Participate in an inclusive work environment for a diverse community of users, staff, postdocs, and students.
- Report and publish scientific results in peer-reviewed journals. Present results at international scientific conferences and meetings.
- A PhD in physics, applied physics, chemistry, materials science, chemical engineering, or a related field completed within the last 5 years.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate research results in peer-reviewed publications.
- Good interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills.
- As a member of the ORNL scientific community, you will be expected to commit to ORNL's Research Code of Conduct. Our full code of conduct and a statement by the Lab Director's office can be found here: https://www.ornl.gov/content/research-integrity. This position requires that you successfully complete required training, including radiological training.
- Basic understanding of x-ray or neutron scattering is desirable. Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory. Ability to work within a multi-disciplinary team environment on scientifically challenging problems Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to changing needs.
Please submit three letters of reference when applying to this position. You can upload these directly to your application or have them sent to email@example.com with the position title and number referenced in the subject line.
Please include a discussion of your research interests and how neutron scattering can support your plan for research during your time at ORNL in your cover letter with your application.
Instructions to upload documents to your candidate profile:
- Login to your account via jobs.ornl.gov
- View Profile
- Under the My Documents section, select Add a Document
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.