Associate Editor, Quantum Information Science and Technology
The Associate Editor will decide on publication of the most exciting and consequential results in the field, conducting a thorough and high-quality review process. A successful candidate will work together with the editorial teams of two top-notch journals, PRX Quantum and Physical Review Applied, in addition to interacting with their Lead Editors and Editorial Boards. The Associate Editor will also be responsible for engaging and building connections with researchers from this highly multidisciplinary research community.
APS has a “remote first” concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access within the United States, independent of physical work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations. APS values diversity and welcomes candidates from a variety of backgrounds. APS offers a dynamic work environment with an outstanding total compensation package, including salary, outstanding benefits, and excellent paid time off.
- Evaluate the scientific content and impact of manuscripts in a critical and independent manner, managing all aspects of peer review for a range of submissions to PRX Quantum and Physical Review Applied, as appropriate.
- Decide to editorially reject or proceed with peer review, based on the journal's acceptance criteria and scope.
- Maintain impeccable ethical standards and fairness at all editorial stages.
- Actively participate in everyday journal initiatives, such as highlighting and attracting top content.
- Actively contribute to high-level editorial strategies and engage with Editorial Board members.
- Participate in editorial and cross-departmental projects to meet and support the goals of APS.
- Represent the journals and the APS as a whole at scientific conferences, give presentations, and organize conference sessions.
- Interact with key researchers and groups at pertinent laboratories and institutions, or through social media.
- Actively engage and develop strong relationships and trust with a broad network of researchers from academia and industry.
- Ensure that Physical Review standards for quality, general style, guidelines, and technical issues are maintained, by communicating with authors, internal support staff, and external vendors.
- Use tools to conduct, analyze, and enhance the peer-review process.
Education: A PhD is required, in Physics, Engineering, or a relevant scientific field. Postdoctoral experience is required.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A minimum of 1 year of postdoctoral experience.
- Excellent knowledge of the scientific literature, existing research groups in the area of coverage, and acute awareness of current developments.
- Passion for learning and sharing research in quantum science.
- A strong sense of integrity.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills.
- Demonstrate excellent command of written English.
- Capable of being detail-oriented without losing sight of the big picture.
- The ability to make independent decisions and evaluations.
- The ability to apply journal policies and practices, and make sound editorial judgments.
- Knowledge of Web-based manuscript handling and databases.
- A strong sense of responsibility and a commitment to the job.
Travel: The position requires some business travel to attend conferences and events, and to interact with researchers at their institutions and universities.
Our Editorial Offices are located on Long Island. We are operational in most US states. The Editorial Department allows flexible work hours; responsiveness is required, however, during the core 9 am to 5pm Eastern Standard Time workday. The successful candidate will join a collaborative international team of editors across the Physical Review journals.
This is Us:
Help us achieve our mission of advancing and diffusing the knowledge of physics for the benefit of humanity, promote physics, and serve the broader physics community.
At APS, we:
- Provide a welcoming and supportive professional home for an active, engaged, and diverse membership
- Advance scientific discovery and research dissemination
- Advocate for physics and physicists, and amplify the voice for science
- Share the excitement of physics and communicate the essential role physics plays in the modern world
- Promote effective physics education for all
Core values are essential to shaping the culture of an organization. They provide the structure and guidance for how we conduct ourselves in our day-to-day interactions. Every employee has a responsibility for upholding these values. The behaviors and actions associated with demonstrating competency in these Core Values are described in a separate document.
Our Core Values:
- The Scientific Method
- Truth and Integrity
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect
- Partnering, Cooperation, and Open Collaboration
- Speaking Out
- Education and Learning
Amazing 2023 Benefit Offerings:
Flexible schedules and ability to work remotely 8% employer-paid retirement contribution Investment advisement services: 100% employer paid Medical benefits: PPO or HDHP option Employer contribution to FSA or HSA account, eligibility based on medical plan enrollment Lifestyle Spending benefit up to $2000.00 (USD) - 100% employer paid Dental benefits: individual coverage 100% employer paid Vision benefits: individual and dependent coverage 100% employer paid Basic Life & Accident insurance: employee coverage 100% employer paid Supplemental Life & Accident insurance, including spouse & dependent child(ren) coverage Disability insurance: employee coverage 100% employer paid Voluntary Accident & Critical Illness insurance Healthcare, Commuter & Dependent care flexible spending accounts Vacation: 15 days annually Generous holiday leave: 17 paid days of significance; includes one week closure at the end of December Personal leave: 4 days annually Volunteer leave: 1 day annually Sick leave: 10 days annually Bereavement & Compassion leave: 2 -15 days based on loss 12 weeks employer-paid family leave College tuition reimbursement plan Job related seminar & continuing education Professional Certification/Recertification 100% employer paid Training and professional development; access to LinkedIn Learning on-demand courses Employee Assistance Program Mindfulness Meditation: live and on-demand classes APS does not offer relocation assistance/costs
The American Physical Society is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of American Physical Society not to discriminate or allow the harassment of employees or applicants on the basis of race, religious creed, alienage or citizenship, religion, color, ethnicity, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, protected veteran status, protected military status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, predisposing genetic characteristics, ancestry, domestic violence victim status or any other characteristic protected by law with regard to any employment practices, including recruitment, advertising, job application procedures, hiring, upgrading, training, promotion, transfer, compensation, job assignments, benefits and/or other terms, conditions, or privileges of employment, provided the individual is qualified, with or without reasonable accommodations, to perform the essential functions of the job. This policy applies to all jobs at APS. The American Physical Society is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request a reasonable accommodation, please contact APS Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The “Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal” poster, prepared by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), provides an overview of several laws that protect you from discrimination on the job, and several rights are afforded to you by these laws. The “Pay Transparency Non Discrimination Provision,” prepared by the U.S. Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP), provides an overview of several protections implemented to protect individuals working under federal contracts from discrimination when inquiring about or discussing compensation; these protections apply to all employees and applicants. All APS Employees must be vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination via our secured vaccination portal upon hire, unless they have an HR approved medical or religious exemption.The APS has a "remote first" concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access, independent of physical work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations.