The Consumable and Lab Automation group conducts research and development of new products used in the area of specialty measurement in the life, food, and materials sciences. The Principal Analytical Scientist position is within the Analytical group which perform analysis, develops, qualifies, and transfers analytical methods for characterizing chromatographic materials and devices. The group supports R&D, manufacturing and commercialization of new products.
We are seeking a Principal Analytical Scientist to work in the Consumable and Lab Automation group to work in a dynamic environment with other R&D scientists and engineers to provide scientific contributions which impact new product development and solve problems that matters to our customers.
In this role, the successful candidate will be involved in developing new technologies, methods and products. This role also involves collaborations, communication and presentation of scientific content internally and externally, and transfer of manufacturing and quality control processes to our Global Operations.
- Lead investigations to provide timely solutions to R&D analytical problems.
- Provide detailed data interpretation/analysis, prepare reports and provide internal presentations summarizing scientific findings.
- Develop analytical methods across a broad range of techniques to answer key project questions.
- Work with multidisciplinary teams to successfully innovate on the next generation of Waters’ products
- Operate and maintain laboratory instruments (in particular - NMR), while creating SOPs, maintaining records for repairs, maintenance, calibrations and other ISO required records.
- Remain abreast of current literature, particularly on emerging analytical techniques and method development.
- Provide mentoring and guidance for other Analytical Group members in areas of expertise.
- PhD in analytical chemistry or a related discipline with at least 5 years of post-graduate, industrial or academic experience.
- Expertise in running and interpreting 1D, 2D, multinuclear and NMR experiments, with the ability maintain and troubleshoot NMR hardware. Experience with solid state NMR is a plus
- Demonstrated knowledge and hands-on experience across a range of analytical techniques, including FT-IR, Raman spectroscopy, UV-VIS, GC/MS, LC/MS, SEM, thermal and elemental analyses, particle size analyses, porosity measurements, and wet chemical analyses with the ability to interpret data and provide insights/recommendations to R&D project teams
- Ability to independently develop new analytical methods to solve key R&D problems.
- Collaboration mindset, with excellent intrapersonal skills and the ability to work effectively on a fast-paced, agile multidisciplinary teams.
- Highly motivated, with a passion for science and technology and the ability to provide leadership in areas of expertise
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills.
- Experience with ISO systems is an asset.