The Department of Chemistry and Physical Sciences at the University of the Virgin Islands (UVI) seeks to hire a full-time, tenure track professor at the Assistant or Associate level. We seek faculty who will inspire and mentor students at all levels while ensuring high academic standards in a nurturing and learner-centered environment in keeping with our HBCU status. The successful applicant will teach undergraduate lectures and labs in multiple areas of chemistry, carry out an independent research program with undergraduate participation, advise and mentor undergraduates, and participate in university service and community outreach activities. The successful applicant will work productively with students and colleagues of diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
The Department of Chemistry and Physical Sciences is one of four departments in the College of Science and Mathematics (CSM) serving majors in Chemistry as well as other STEM disciplines and in Nursing. The Department’s instrumentation includes an ICPMS, FTIR, LCMS, HPLC, fluorescence spectrometer, IC, electrochemical analyzer, and a GCMS. CSM fosters, supports and rewards excellence in teaching, research and service.
CSM fosters, supports and rewards excellence in teaching, research and service. Our academic programs emphasize critical thinking, problem solving, written and spoken communication and other skills tailored to help students succeed. CSM is committed to helping students excel academically and achieve productive careers through programs in academics, research and community service. The College provides degrees in Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Marine Biology, Mathematics, Physics, and Process Technology. Opportunities leading to degrees in engineering and medicine at affiliated universities augment our degree offerings.
UVI is a publicly supported land-grant institution and a member of the Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs). Its mission is to educate and empower the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Caribbean and the world through an environment that promotes creativity, innovation and excellence in teaching, student learning, research, and community engagement. As a uniquely American, English-speaking institution within the Caribbean and circum-Caribbean, UVI’s role as a producer/venue of thought leaders is critically important to the US Virgin Islands, the wider Caribbean, and the World. UVI is a community that intentionally engages individuals with diverse backgrounds, talents, skills, ideas, and perspectives to weave a vibrant learning and working environment.
- PhD in Chemistry.
- Demonstrated ability to teach undergraduate lectures and labs in multiple areas of chemistry.
- A research focus with a broad range of chemical disciplines, including interdisciplinary areas.
- Demonstrated ability to work productively with students and colleagues of diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
- Commitment to lifelong learning and scientific research, academic and pedagogical advancement, and outreach to the local community through service and enhanced opportunities.
- Ph.D. in Analytical, Inorganic or Physical Chemistry (including computational).
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching at the college level.
- An active, externally funded research program.