Physics and Chemistry Materials Scientist
- Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Los Alamos, New Mexico
- Scientist 2 $96,100 - $159,000 or Scientist 3 $115,500 - $194,900
- Closing date
- Apr 15, 2023
- Field of specialization
- Information Science, Materials
- Work Function
- Development-Process, Laboratory, Management-Laboratory
- Job Type
- Full time
Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in science and engineering on behalf of national security. We are seeking a Scientist to join our Physics and Chemistry Materials Group (T-1) at LANL in Los Alamos, NM. You will perform research in the field of computational physics and chemistry on problems related to the properties and dynamics of materials. You will also develop and apply new and improved models for physics, chemistry and engineering used in a broad set of materials-related areas.
- Lead interdisciplinary teams to develop and apply new theoretical and computational tools for materials and chemistry and solve problems in support of Laboratory missions Lead and guide interdisciplinary teams, encompassing both theorists and experimentalists, to develop and apply new theoretical and computational tools for materials and chemistry Publish research in leading scientific journals Recruit and mentor students, postdocs and junior staff Provide leadership in preparing proposals that shape the future research directions of the group
- Bachelor’s degree in a STEM field from an accredited college or university; PhD in Chemistry, Physics, or Engineering or closely related field preferred 4+ years of related experience, including post-doctoral research experience at a university or national lab or equivalent related experience Significant experience in broad areas of modeling and simulation in physics and chemistry of materials including quantum, classical or continuum frameworks Demonstrated ability to lead projects and research teams and to mentor postdocs and students Demonstrated experience in one or more of the following areas: multi-scale physics modeling, atomic processes in plasmas, atomistic simulation, computational chemistry, molecular dynamics, equation of state and high-explosive modeling Outstanding track record of scientific accomplishment demonstrated by publications, invited presentations or professional service or honors Data science and machine learning, applied scientific computing and software engineering Demonstrated effective oral and written communication skills Active DOE Q clearance (usually requires U.S. citizenship required) preferred
We Are Delivering Scientific Excellence
Los Alamos National Laboratory is more than a place to work. It is a catalyst for discovery, innovation and achievement. It’s one of the reasons we attract world-class talent who contribute greatly to our outstanding culture. Professional development, work/life balance and a diverse and inclusive team foster lasting career satisfaction. Our onsite cafeterias and medical, fitness and breastfeeding facilities, education assistance and generous compensation and benefits reflect our commitment to providing our people with all they need for personal and professional growth. Northern New Mexico offers an abundance of wildlife, culture and adventures, including hiking trails and nearby ski resorts. Learn why Los Alamos has been rated #3 in the Best Counties to Live in the USA.
To apply, please visit:
Search Req. Number: IRC117710
Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations. The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such an accommodation, please send an email to email@example.com or call 1-505-665-4444 option 1.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert