About Le Moyne College:
Le Moyne College, located in Syracuse, N.Y., is an independent college established by the Jesuits in 1946 to provide students with a values-based, comprehensive academic program designed to foster intellectual excellence and preparation for a life of leadership and service. Today, Le Moyne has evolved into a nationally acclaimed college of liberal arts and sciences that draws students from across the U.S. and abroad.
Le Moyne College is a diverse learning community that strives for academic excellence in the Catholic and Jesuit tradition through its comprehensive programs rooted in the liberal arts and sciences. Its emphasis is on education of the whole person and on the search for meaning and value as integral parts of the intellectual life. Le Moyne College seeks to prepare its members for leadership and service in their personal and professional lives to promote a more just society.
Le Moyne College aims to advance the values of diversity and inclusiveness at the college. To do this, Le Moyne seeks scholars and professionals who bring innovation, creativity, and impact to the campus, and who bring greater depth, breadth, and diversity to our campus community. Le Moyne College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, persons of color, and Jesuits to apply for employment.
The General Chemistry Lab Manager is a 12-month position and starts in June 2023. The Lab Manager directs the operations for the general chemistry teaching labs; oversees the maintenance of the department instrumentation, chemical inventory, and stockroom; teaches two courses each semester during the academic year; supervises student workers, as needed; and helps coordinate student workshops.
Principle Duties and Essential Functions
- Update lab manual, update pre-lab slides and grading rubrics, in collaboration with full time faculty;
- Secure supplies & reagents, set-up equipment, etc., for weekly labs
- Oversee student workers, as needed;
- Serve as contact-person for/communicate with/disseminate information to lab instructors (including adjuncts)
- Teach two sections of general chemistry lab each academic semester, unless staffing permits teaching in other area(s) of expertise (e.g., physical chemistry lab).
- Oversee service contracts, routine maintenance, troubleshooting;
- Coordinate with physical plant and/or outside contractors for related maintenance.
Department Chemicals and Stockroom
- Maintain and organize supplies and chemicals for teaching laboratories.
- Perform an annual inventory of chemicals in the department, usually in the summer; maintain the electronic database of chemicals.
- Manage chemical waste in collaboration with the Environmental Health and Safety Officer;
- Perform routine maintenance/oversight of instrumentation and compressed gasses.
- Create and post appropriate safety signage;
- Ensure safety training for faculty, staff, students, in collaboration with the Environmental Health and Safety Officer;
- Perform routine checks on stored chemicals.
- Support student academic success by helping to schedule relevant workshops.
- Master's degree in chemistry or related field from an accredited university/college.
- Experience in laboratory and instrument management.
- Experience with chemical inventory and stockroom management.
- Undergraduate teaching experience in the relevant chemistry lab courses.
- Strong oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion job expectations for all Le Moyne College employees:
Demonstrates commitment to promoting a more diverse, inclusive and equitable work environment by supporting the diversity, equity, and inclusion goals of the employee's unit.
Regularly participates in professional development opportunities to become more aware of DEI issues and to consider ways in which their work can be expanded to honor and incorporate the diversity of our community.
Works to neutralize institutional bias by analyzing the policies and procedures of their unit and making suggestions to remove barriers for historically underserved people.
Promotes open communication across Le Moyne's community in order to create an inclusive environment, and understanding of others backgrounds, ideas, and perspectives.
Le Moyne Benefits
403(b) Retirement contribution- (9.5% Employer match)
Generous tuition coverage
Health insurance options- (Medical, Dental, Vision, Flexible Spending Accounts)
Health Savings Accounts- (Partially Employer funded)
Basic Life & AD&D Insurance- (Employer paid)
Short and Long Term Disability Insurance (Employer paid)
Supplemental Life & AD&D Insurance
Voluntary benefits- (Legal, Critical Illness, Hospital Indemnity, Accident Insurance, Pet Insurance etc.)
Generous time off package
For more details on the College's benefit programs, please visit our Benefits page by clicking here.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Le Moyne College is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, citizenship & immigration or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Le Moyne makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
To apply for this position, please click apply now and submit the following application materials:
* Cover letter discussing your interests in this position
* Current resume / curriculum vitae
* Graduate school transcripts
* Contact information for three (3) professional references
Preference will be given to applicantions received by March 13, 2023. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.