Senior Analytical Chemist: Polymer Physics
- Wacker Chemical Corporation
- Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Paid bi-weekly
- Closing date
- Apr 16, 2023
- Field of specialization
- Analytical, Polymers
- Work Function
- Job Type
- Full time
WACKER SILICONES is one of the world's biggest silicone manufacturers with silicone-based system solutions and over 3,000 different products.
At our Ann Arbor site, we are currently looking for a Senior Analytical Chemist: Polymer Physics to be a part of our growing team.
The purpose of this position is to provide polymer physics expertise to the WACKER analytical team in North America. The WACKER analytical team is responsible for supporting R&D, business teams, and process chemistry teams, primarily for silicone-based products and technologies.
The senior analytical chemist will utilize strong technical expertise to deliver polymer physics excellence across a broad range of applications to internal stakeholders. This includes the prioritization and management of a broad range of analytical requests, as well as the participation in research and development projects from idea conception through product commercialization.
- Apply knowledge of and lead research efforts in polymer physics to support business needs and generate fundamental knowledge to provide solutions to technical challenges
- Solve analytical challenges by communicating and interacting with a broad range of stakeholders from R&D, business teams, and process chemistry through technical reports, in-person meetings, and presentations
- Generate, organize, interpret, and report data generated both in-house and externally to support technical projects and analytical service requests
- Independently develop, qualify, and validate new methods and transfer methods from other WACKER sites
- Maintain familiarity with current literature and advances in polymer physics
- Help develop the technical capabilities of the physical and wet chemistry group to meet current and future business needs and to keep state-of-the-art polymer physics capabilities, including procurement and maintenance of instrumentation
- Initiate and conduct continuous improvement initiatives to improve the quality of service and enhance the contribution of the physical and wet chemistry team
- Collaborate with WACKER's global analytical organization to further enhance analytical capabilities
- Actively participate in WACKER safety programs, ensure compliance with safety procedures, and maintain good housekeeping
- Mentor and help to develop less experienced technical personnel
- Education: M.S. in material science, polymer physics, or related discipline is required, Ph.D. is preferred
- Experience: Minimum of 8 years of relevant work experience in industry required with Ph.D. or minimum of 12 years of relevant experience in industry required with M.S. degree
- Extensive knowledge and hands-on experience with techniques such as rotational, capillary, and extensional rheometry, dynamic mechanical analysis (DMA), and thermal analysis (DSC, TGA, and STA).
- Experience mentoring colleagues in an industrial setting for at least 5 years
- Proven expertise in field supported by technical publications and/or presentation
- Considerable knowledge of laboratory safety policies and practices
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work effectively on a multi-disciplinary team
- Strong oral and written communication skills required
- Ability to creatively problem-solve and independently lead technical projects is required
- Experience in IT and computer networking is a plus but not required
- Knowledge of silicone chemistry is a plus but not required
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/qRL2MZH4D74VaceNFGXAg
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert