- Decatur, Georgia
- Closing date
- Apr 19, 2023
- Field of specialization
- Organic, Polymers
- Work Function
- Development-Process, Development-Product, Research-Applied
- Job Type
- Full time
Scientist Decatur, GA 30030, USA Req #258 Wednesday, March 15, 2023
We are charting the course for the next-generation chemical company. We may be a new company, but our roots are more than a century old, dating back to the creation of Bakelite. We saw then what we see now: The boundless possibilities of science and curiosity. Our innovations include Bakelite, Durite, Cellobond and Resonance. From trains to planes to everyday household items, we are improving thousands of products around the world today. Like the lightweight plastic, Bakelite is strong, durable, and its potential allows for its future to be molded into infinite shapes - and we're looking for talented and passionate people to help us create that future and the products that will change the world tomorrow.
Bakelite is looking for a scientist to work in a research and development environment to identify, develop, scale up and commercialize innovative chemical solutions for industrial and specialty applications. We seek a creative and inventive individual who can formulate new chemistries into thermosetting adhesives of value to our customers.
Job Description & Responsibilities
- Synthesize lab-scale thermoset resins and customer samples; conduct hands-on experiments and associated polymer characterizations
- Collaborate with Analytical and Applications teams to enable characterization and performance evaluation
- Support Technical Service activities through problem-solving, sampling, and testing
- Support Operations to ensure the quality manufacture of resins and product scale-ups
- Document and maintain lab notebook as required by the ISO standard
- Identify areas of growth and work with your manager to create an annual personal/ career development goal relevant to business needs
- Travel domestically as needed up to 20% of the time, occasional international travel.
- BS degree with 2+ years of relevant experience in the field of Chemistry or Polymer Science. Other relevant degrees may be considered with specific job-related experience.
- Demonstration of working knowledge of polymer chemistry and design understanding that is transferrable across multiple industrial segments -industrial and -specialty markets
- Knowledge and experience with chemical hygiene, laboratory safety, and environmental compliance
- Good communication skills, both oral and written
- Capable of working effectively in multi-functional teams
- Demonstrated learning agility
- Adaptability to changes to the projects and goals as dictated by business needs
- Strong skills in using Microsoft office products to build graphs and presentations as needed for effective communication of technical findings
- Synthesis and formulation experience in thermoset resins, particularly related to formaldehyde polymers of phenol, urea, and melamine
- Basic knowledge of phenolic, polyurethane, epoxy, polyester, and acrylic-based thermoset resins
- Knowledge of physical characterization and testing of thermoset resins
- Proficiency in scale-up and manufacture of formaldehyde-based liquid and powder PF, UF, and MF resins
- Experience applying thermoset resins to relevant industrial processes.
We are an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, minority status, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability or any characteristic protected by law.
In order to be considered for this position candidates are required to submit an application for employment through our career site, be at least 18 years or age, willing to take a drug test, submit to a background investigation as part of the selection process, as well as additional periodic background checks as required by the Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards (CFATS) or regulations adopted by the Department of Homeland Security or other regulatory agencies. Candidates are required to have unrestricted authorization to work in the United States. This company participates in E-Verify. For additional details, click HERE.
If currently an employee of the Company, you must have satisfactory work performance. Disclaimer: We are not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms/employment agencies for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails to an employee about this position. All resumes submitted by search firms/employment agencies to any employee of the Company via email, the Internet or in any other form and/or method without a valid written search firm agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of the Company; no fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by the Company as a result of the unsolicited referral or through other means.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert