- Sasol (USA) Corporation
- Lake Charles, Louisiana
- Salary Exempt with comprehensive total rewards package
- Closing date
- May 20, 2023
- Field of specialization
- Inorganic, Materials, Petrochemicals
- Work Function
- Health / Safety, Laboratory, Research-Applied, Research-Basic
- Job Type
- Full time
Position Location: Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
A job at Sasol is a career made by you, with purpose, development opportunities, benefits to support every stage of life and a working culture that embraces flexibility, diversity and inclusion. Learn more.
We are currently recruiting for Chemist. This position reports to the Manager of Research & Development Inorganics US and is an on-site position located in Lake Charles, Louisiana.
Purpose of Job
Provides a key supporting role in corporate growth and profitability improvement by skillfully executing the technical projects or programs of a supervising scientist
- Responsible for safely conducting a broad spectrum of experiments under the direction of senior researchers in the laboratory and pilot facilities, for properly maintaining Sasol equipment, and for the generation and communication of reliable, properly documented data for lead scientists
- Provides technical support to lead scientists and research groups within R&D; leads focused technical initiatives within the research group
- Understands technical requirements and recommends R&D objectives, defines what is needed in terms of equipment, etc., and sets appropriate project goals with supervisor and project teams to meet technical needs
- Responsible for the integrity and operation of company equipment, and adherence to safety, health, and environmental procedures
- Responsible for understanding Sasol's procedures for securing intellectual property; responsible for appropriately recording laboratory results for use in developing intellectual property
- Develops and maintains relationships to guarantee effective cross-department collaborations and utilization of "Best Practices" for technologies within the scope of the job
- Priorities are established with the technical lead/supervisor
- Demonstrates feasibility of technologies defined or developed by senior scientists within R&D
- Ensures efforts are aligned within the research group
- May be assigned responsibilities of Product Steward or the R & D Waste Coordinator
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry or related science field or progression from the Associate Chemist position based on additional experience
- 2+ years of industrial research and development or plant experience preferred
Required Personal and Professional Skills
- Inorganic synthesis, materials science, or colloid science experience
- Glassware set up, analytical techniques on materials (SEM, rheology, BET, XRD, TGA, particle size. etc.)
- Experience with pressure vessels preferred
- Ability to define and implement ideas and solutions
- Highly mechanically inclined and able to conceptualize complex processes
- Strong mathematical/laboratory skills
- Computer competency in required software
- Experience with statistical data analysis will be a plus
- Good oral and written communications skill
Sasol is committed to promoting better, healthier lives for you and your family. Below is an overview of our benefits and compensation programs: • Medical, including prescription drug benefits, Dental, and Vision (start day one of employment with no waiting period) • Retirement Pension Plan • Savings and Investment plan (401k) with eligible company match • Paid vacation and holidays • Disability benefits • Other special programs, i.e., EAP (employee assistance program), wellness, pet benefits, caregiver support benefit, Aflac, Legal Guard, and many others • Comprehensive compensation program
Sasol (USA) Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, as well as any other characteristic protected by applicable law, regulation or local ordinance. For more information about your rights under the law, see http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
Sasol treats work-authorized job applicants equally in recruiting and hiring without regard to their citizenship status or national origin unless required by law, regulation, executive order, government contract, or determination by the Attorney General. Please note Sasol will not sponsor, obtain, and/or petition for temporary visa status (for example, E, F-1, H-1, H-2, L, B, J, or TN) for candidates for this position and/or personnel hired for this position.
Sasol Chemicals is a solutions provider focused on sustainability, circularity and specialties. It fulfills its purpose of "innovating for a better world" by offering a broad, state-of-the-art portfolio of specialty and commodity chemicals for a wide range of applications and industries.
Our solutions are used by more than 6,500 customers, in 118 countries, in countless products that improve the quality of life for people around the world. They also provide the building blocks for a sustainable future by helping reduce energy usage, waste and packaging, and by providing solutions to the renewable energy industry.
Sasol Chemicals is a business of Sasol Limited, a leading chemicals and energy company focused on creating sustainable value for our stakeholders.
2201 Old Spanish Trail
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert