Long Term Substitute - Chemistry Faculty
Salary: $71,568.25 - $83,728.13 Annually
Job Type: Part Time
Job Number: A23 - 20
Closing: 6/3/2023 11:00 PM Pacific
Location: Both Liberal Arts Campus & Pacific Coast Campus, CA
Department: Physical Science
LONG TERM SUBSTITUTE - CHEMISTRY PROFESSOR
LONG BEACH CITY COLLEGE
Long Beach City College is committed to providing equitable student learning and achievement, by delivering high quality educational programs and support services to our diverse communities. Long Beach City College currently has the privilege of serving approximately 34,549 students, the majority of whom are students of color. Long Beach City College is a Hispanic serving institution, and of our student population 50% are Hispanic/Latinx, 19% are White, 12% are African American, 10% are Asian & Filipino. An ideal candidate will demonstrate cultural competency in serving the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender identity, sexual orientation, racial, and cultural backgrounds of community college student populations, including students with differing abilities. As one of the most diverse community college districts in southern California, we offer a wide range of opportunities in transfer, general education, vocational and occupational programs. For more information on our College demographics please click here: https://www.lbcc.edu/pod/lbcc-college-facts.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Long Beach Community College District is currently seeking one - year Full-Time Long Term Substitute Chemistry Professor commencing with the fall 2023 semester. This assignment also includes curriculum development, participation in the shared governance process through work in normal professional activities, committee work, and student activities. The teaching assignment may be at the Liberal Arts campus, the Pacific Coast campus or other college teaching locations. The assignment may be day, evening, weekend, on-line or off campus and is subject to change as needed. Faculty positions offer the opportunity to assist a diverse group of adult students in achieving their educational goals. As one of the most diverse community college districts in southern California, we offer a wide range of opportunities in transfer, general education, vocational and occupational programs.
Long Beach City College is committed to providing equitable student learning and achievement, academic excellence, and workforce development by delivering high-quality educational programs and support services to our diverse communities. We are Purposeful, Focused, Nurturing, Connected and Respectful.
• https://www.lbcc.edu/sites/main/files/file-attachments/eeo_plan__2019-2022_.pdf https://get.adobe.com/reader/
• https://www.lbcc.edu/sites/main/files/file-attachments/lbcc-strategic-plan.pdf https://get.adobe.com/reader/
The College seeks candidates who exhibit an understanding and commitment to the community college mission, and who have a passion for commitment to student success. The position encompasses the following professional responsibilities and competencies
• Assume leadership roles both within the department and in the institution as a whole.
• Commitment to serving the needs of the student, department, college, and community.
• Collaboration across disciplines and utilization of student support resources.
• Participation in department, division, college committees, and participatory governance activities.
• Participation in curriculum and program development.
• Work collegially and collaboratively within the college community.
• Participation in ongoing professional development.
• Ability to create a dynamic learning environment that values instructor/student interaction.
• Ability to effectively engage with and facilitate authentic learning for students of diverse backgrounds, cultures, and experiences.
• Ability to adapt teaching pedagogy to the knowledge of each individual and class.
• Ability to self-reflect and respond to an evidence-based assessment of student learning.
• Demonstrated experience and commitment to integrating new technologies into the learning process, including but not limited to interactive technologies for on campus and on-line courses.
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
All candidates must demonstrate
Evidence of a sensitivity, understanding, and ability to manage the classroom environment AND effectively provide instruction to community college students of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds.
• Master's in chemistry OR
• Bachelor's in chemistry or biochemistry AND
• Master's in biochemistry, chemical engineering, chemical physics, physics, molecular biology or geochemistry OR
• the equivalent
• Recent experience teaching Introductory Chemistry, Allied Health Chemistry and/or Organic Chemistry at the post-secondary level especially community college.
• Understanding of evaluation of students by a variety of means to measure their progress in achieving course objectives and inform them in a timely manner of their progress is desirable.
• Evidence of student success in teaching Chemistry and of participation in student success initiatives in post-secondary setting.
• Evidence of the ability to effectively engage with and facilitate authentic learning for students of diverse backgrounds, cultures, and experiences.
• Evidence of an ability to adapt teaching pedagogy to the knowledge level (developmental through transfer) and personality of each individual and class.
• Evidence of an ability to self-reflect and respond to an evidenced-based assessment of student learning.
• Evidence of innovation, scholarship, or leadership in the teaching of Chemistry.
• Desire and demonstrated ability to participate actively in department, division, and college committees and in the shared governance of Long Beach City College.
• Desire and evidence of an ability to take on leadership roles both within the department and in the institution as a whole.
• Commitment to the Mission and Strategic Objectives of Long Beach Community College District.
• Ability to work with computers, and use the Internet and interactive technologies to engage students.
Long Beach City College only considers complete applications for employment. All application materials must be electronically submitted and uploaded by the applicant by the application deadline. Applications are initially screened for completeness and State Minimum Qualifications. Complete applications are forwarded to the Department hiring committee for further review.
A complete application includes:
• A Long Beach Community College District Online Application.
• A cover letter outlining your education and experience relevant to this position.
• A current resume or curriculum vitae.
• A list of three references, including current addresses and telephone numbers of both colleagues and supervisors.
• ALL graduate and undergraduate transcripts, showing school name, all college coursework, degree title and conferral date. This includes transcripts for any and all for the following degrees BA/BS, MA/MS and above (Ed.D, Ph,D, etc.) and courses used for transfer credit. Transcripts can be official or unofficial and must be submitted as an attachment. The conferral date must be on or before the application deadline in order to meet Minimum Qualifications.
• Transcripts from countries other than the United States must be evaluated by an agency that is a member of the National Association of Credentials Evaluation Service (http://www.naces.org/members.html).
• Applicants who do not meet the https://www.cccco.edu/-/media/CCCCO-Website/About-Us/Divisions/Educational-Services-and-Support/Academic-Affairs/What-we-do/Curriculum-and-Instruction-Unit/Minimum-Qualifications/updated_cccco_2020_report_min_qualifications-a11y.pdf?la=en&hash=976FF09D36A5141E9710046EFF9CEC13F5AC80E7 for this discipline verbatim are required to submit a http://www.lbcc.edu/sites/main/files/file-attachments/supplementalequivalencyapplication-fillable.pdf https://get.adobe.com/reader/https://get.adobe.com/reader/.
All Long Beach Community College employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by Jan 3, 2022 in compliance with District Policy. Please note that if selected for employment, you must provide proof of fully vaccinated status by date of hire. Documented proof of vaccination is required as part of the onboarding process. Individuals requesting accommodation must do so in a timely manner for consideration. For further information on LBCC District COVID-19 policy and guides, please view our https://www.lbcc.edu/return-campus.
Individuals who require reasonable accommodations in the Application or Examination Process in accordance with ADA should notify the Human Resources Office at least two days prior to the closing date, by calling (562) 938-4372.
THE LONG BEACH CITY COLLEGE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Long Beach Community College District is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and equity-minded hiring practices. It is the District's policy to ensure that all qualified applicants for employment and employees have full and equal access to employment opportunities and are not subject to discrimination in any program or activity of the District on the basis of ethnic group identification, language, accent, citizenship status, race, color, ancestry, national origin, age (40 and over), sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, parental status, marital status, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, or on the basis of these perceived characteristics.
Ancestral Land Acknowledgement
Long Beach City College acknowledges our presence on the traditional ancestral land of the Gabrielino/Tongva peoples. This land remains unceded territory. We acknowledge the painful history of genocide and forced removal from this territory. Long Beach City College honors and respects the Gabrielino/Tongva ancestors and their connection to this land.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/4207159
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.