JOB SYNOPSIS: This position requires an in-depth knowledge of the processes to produce the Technical Products. The Technical Products are small molecular weight organic molecules synthesized by traditional batch processing. Multiple products are manufactured in fixed equipment. The position requires a thorough understanding of the organic reactions executed as well as processing using flammable solvents and hazardous reagents and products. Typical batch processing unit operations are utilized in the manufacturing process – reaction temperature control, controlled addition rates of reagents, extractions, distillations, crystallizations, product isolation by filtration and product drying.
JOB FUNCTION: Optimize chemical manufacturing processes with existing equipment to improve yields and reduce cycle times. Bring online new equipment to improve safety and efficiency of the existing facility and to allow rapid implementation in the new chemical facility to be built.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND JOB ACTIVITIES:
- Develop best practices for chemical manufacturing facility and equipment - standard operating procedures for unit operations.
- Optimize existing chemical process parameters for existing equipment.
- Transfer existing chemical manufacturing processes from existing equipment to new equipment within new facility.
- The Chemical Process Engineer will work with the manufacturing staff in the Bell Laboratories Technical Manufacturing facility to produce Bell Laboratories bulk rodenticides (Technical Products).
- Optimize chemical manufacturing cycle times.
- Work with chemical operators and process chemists to troubleshoot issues that may arise.
- Become the resident expert for implementation of new chemical equipment.
- Working with process chemists, author chemical manufacturing records.
- Process Safety Advocate – Continuously review processes and operations to identify potential safety issues.
- Identify and implement both equipment and process modifications to increase products yields, reduce cycle times and increase equipment productivity.