Augustana University is located in Sioux Falls, South Dakota which provides an exceptionally high quality of living in an affordable community environment. Sioux Falls has more than 70 parks, over 40 miles of greenways, a walkable downtown that features musical and cultural events, and award winning restaurants. Our metro area (population 280,000) is one of the fastest growing regions in the country and is recognized as a major medical, retail, and financial center.
Augustana University seeks to fill a full-time, tenure-track position in Biochemistry in the Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor beginning Fall 2024. Augustana is an excellent place to work with outstanding students and a long history of quality research with undergraduates.
- Instruction of foundation-level biochemistry and advanced biochemistry courses, such as medicinal chemistry (lecture and lab) for majors
- Instruction of major and non-major organic chemistry courses (lecture and lab)
- Instruction of a survey of organic and biochemistry for non-majors (lecture and lab)
- Develop a research program involving undergraduates
- Service to the University community
A typical teaching load is two lectures and two labs each of fall and spring semester, with a one course responsibility during interim (January term), although every third interim is released for professional development. Successful applicants will demonstrate a dedication to undergraduate education, a commitment to innovative and excellent
teaching in the liberal arts tradition, the capability to adhere to the timelines of a rigorous curriculum, and the ability to meet the flexible instructional needs of the Department.
There are also expectations that the candidate will develop a strong research program involving undergraduates, which includes publishing, grant-writing, and traveling to conferences with undergraduates where both the faculty member and the students will present their research.
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry or similar. Candidates with post-doctoral training and a strong record of undergraduate instruction in biochemistry and organic chemistry are preferred.
- Salary is competitive and dependent upon qualifications; excellent fringe benefits are included.
- Review of applications will begin on September 15, 2023.
Interacting with students, faculty and leadership with different backgrounds and points of view and a deep appreciation of and respect for academic values and culture must be a top value of the candidate.
- Cover letter
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Description of research plans
- A statement on your commitment to diversity (how you worked to promote diversity, equity and inclusion in your previous position and how you plan to continue to do so at Augustana)
- Copies of undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- Curriculum vita
- A completed Augustana University employment application
- Three letters of reference electronically to email@example.com
Official web site: www.augie.edu
Contact Augustana University Human Resources with questions: Liz Van Westen,
Employment Specialist, Liz.VanWesten@augie.edu 605-274-4107.
For more information about the department please see the Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry web page: https://www.augie.edu/academics/undergraduate- programs/chemistry.
Augustana University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Title IX Employer that seeks to recruit, develop and retain a talented and diverse workforce. Augustana University is committed to excellence through diversity and strongly encourages applications from the entire spectrum of a diverse community. Submission of official transcripts may be required upon employment. Finalist candidates must satisfactorily complete a pre-employment background check.