The Department of Chemistry at Occidental College invites applications for the position of a tenure‐track Assistant Professor of Chemistry with appointment to begin Fall 2024.
We welcome applications from candidates who demonstrate promise of successful scholarship and dedication to teaching excellence in the interdisciplinary field of biochemistry.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- develop and teach courses in the core chemistry curriculum, including general chemistry, biochemistry, physical chemistry, and their corresponding teaching laboratories;
- develop and teach advanced courses that complement those already offered by the department;
- establish and maintain a nationally recognized, externally funded research program in an interdisciplinary field of biochemistry; and
- contribute to and participate in the life and development of the department, advise students, serve on committees, and participate in the broader college and disciplinary communities.
Occidental College is committed to academic excellence in a diverse community and strongly encourages applications from candidates committed to the College’s mission of equity, excellence, community, and service.
Expected Salary Range: $84,500- $96,000
Application Submission Materials
You must submit a complete application package electronically to be considered. To apply, please visit apply.interfolio.com/129251
Cover Letter that addresses the required and preferred qualifications
- Curriculum Vitae
- A Research Statement (5 pages max)
- A Teaching Philosophy Statement (2 pages max)
- Commitment to Inclusive Excellence Statement (1 page max) This statement provides your unique perspective on your past and present contributions to and future aspirations for promoting justice, equity, inclusion, and diversity in your professional career. This should include your demonstrated commitment to, past evidence of, and future plans for creating equitable opportunities for learning and mentoring especially for students from marginalized and minoritized groups. The purpose of this statement is to help the department identify candidates who have professional experience, intellectual commitments, and/or willingness to engage in activities that could help the College contribute to its mission in these areas.
- If you advance to the finalist phase, your references will be contacted for letters of recommendation. Please have these ready for the referents to submit in a timely manner should you move forward to this phase of the search; the timeline to submit letters will be short. Do not submit these letters with your initial application.
- List of three references with relevant contact information
Please direct all questions about the position to: Prof. Jeff Cannon at (323) 259-2768.
To be assured full consideration, your application materials must be received by September 18, 2023.
The Department and College
Occidental College is a selective private liberal arts college located in Los Angeles. The College prides itself on the advantages it has being one of the few liberal arts colleges located within a major city. The Chemistry Department and Biochemistry Program graduate 25 to 30 majors every year. The Chemistry Department’s curriculum is centered on the importance of experiential learning in the sciences and maintains a year-round research program that involves undergraduates at all stages and is supported by dedicated personnel and internal and external funding. Biochemistry at Occidental is a collaborative endeavor between the Chemistry and Biology departments that builds on our combined strengths to prepare students to tackle our major scientific challenges. Both Chemistry and Biochemistry are devoted to supporting the academic excellence of its diverse and talented student body.
Occidental is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate against employees or applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, breastfeeding or related medical condition, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic characteristic or information, military and veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. Occidental is strongly committed to increasing the diversity of the campus community and the curriculum, and to fostering an inclusive, equitable, and just environment within which students, staff, administrators, and faculty thrive. Candidates who can contribute to this goal through their teaching, research, advising, and other activities are encouraged to identify their strengths and experiences in this area. Individuals advancing the College’s strategic equity and justice goals and those from groups whose underrepresentation in the American professoriate has been severe and longstanding are particularly encouraged to apply.
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Moving expense reimbursement (up to $5000, taxable according to current IRS regulations), start-up funds, and a one-course reduction of teaching load in the first year are provided. A comprehensive benefits package is available that includes: excellent health, dental, life, and retirement benefits; tuition benefits for the employee, spouse, domestic partner, and dependents; additional extras including use of gym facilities and the College Library. For a detailed description of benefits, please visit https://www.oxy.edu/offices-services/human-resources/benefits-information.
All qualified applicants will be considered for employment, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
Occidental College is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with qualifying disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the application or employment process, please contact Human Resources (firstname.lastname@example.org).