The Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry at Illinois Wesleyan University (IWU) invites applications for two full-time, tenure track faculty positions: one in Analytical Chemistry and one in Biochemistry, respectively. Successful applicants must have a PhD in chemistry or a closely related field by the start date (August 2024).
For the Analytical position preference will be given to those with expertise in analytical chemistry. Postdoctoral experience is preferred. Teaching duties over two semesters include analytical chemistry with a lab, general chemistry with lab, instrumental analysis, and an upper level capstone laboratory course for chemistry/biochemistry majors in addition to contributions to our general education curriculum..
For the Biochemistry position preference will be given to those with expertise in experimental biochemistry. Postdoctoral experience is preferred. Teaching duties over two semesters include undergraduate courses in biochemistry with lab, general chemistry with lab, an upper level capstone laboratory course for chemistry/biochemistry majors, and a 1-semester nursing chemistry course (general, organic and biological chemistry) with lab in addition to contributions to our general education curriculum.
The current teaching load is three course units per semester. Applicants are expected to participate in experimental research, preferably engaging undergraduate students, provide academic advising to students, participate in department and university service and are encouraged to seek external funding.
Founded in 1850, IWU is a highly competitive small liberal arts institution located in Bloomington, IL. IWU is strongly committed to recruiting, supporting and fostering a diverse, inclusive and civil community of outstanding faculty, staff and students. We seek candidates who have a demonstrated commitment to supporting and further building our community in these dimensions. IWU is an EEO Employer.
The position includes a competitive salary, benefits, start-up funds, laboratory space for research and a one semester junior faculty leave to support scholarship in preparation for tenure. The provost’s office provides generous travel funds to attend both research and pedagogical conferences. The department prides itself on close student-faculty interactions and the research opportunities provided to students. More information about the department can be found at https://www.iwu.edu/chemistry/
The twin cities of Bloomington-Normal, just 2 hours southwest of Chicago, provide a vibrant and diverse community and offer a great quality of life. https://www.visitbn.org/about/major-employers/
Interested applicants should send a complete application as a single pdf document to email@example.com (Subject line: IWU Faculty Position in Specify field). A complete application packet will comprise:
(1) a Cover Letter (2 page limit) that addresses your experience relevant to teaching at an undergraduate liberal arts institution, experience involving undergraduates in your research, and integrating teaching, writing and critical thinking skills in courses.
(2) Curriculum Vitae (4 page limit).
(3) Unofficial undergraduate and graduate transcripts
(4) Research Plans (4 page limit) that describe proposed research work and how you will incorporate undergraduate students into your research program, equipment and instrument needs.
(5) Teaching Philosophy (2 page limit)
(6) Diversity statement (1 page limit) that addresses how you would promote diversity and inclusivity in the classroom, and how research, teaching, and/or service has provided preparation for contributing to our commitment to address issues of race, gender, sexual orientation, disability, and/or other issues of historical marginalization.
(7) Applicants should arrange to send three letters of reference directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
By providing three letters of reference, you agree that we may contact your letter writers.
Review of complete applications (containing items 1-6) will begin on September 1, 2023 and will continue until the respective positions have been filled.