As a U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Science national laboratory, ORNL has an extraordinary 80-year history of solving the nation’s biggest problems. We have a dedicated and creative staff of over 6,000 people! Our vision for diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA) is to cultivate an environment and practices that foster diversity in ideas and in the people across the organization, as well as to ensure ORNL is recognized as a workplace of choice. These elements are critical for enabling the execution of ORNL’s broader mission to accelerate scientific discoveries and their translation into energy, environment, and security solutions for the nation.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will support the Particle Fuel Forms (PFF) Group in the Nuclear Fuel Development (NFD) Section within the Nuclear Energy and Fuel Cycle Division.
The PFF Group is a global leader in coated particle fuel research for advanced reactors (e.g., tristructural isotropic (TRISO) coated particle fuel) and emerging nuclear technologies (e.g., space nuclear propulsion). The PFF group supports activities related to both fabrication and post-irradiation examination of coated particle fuel and fuel forms. This position would directly support the DOE’s Office of Nuclear Energy’s Advanced Gas Reactor Fuel Development and Qualification (AGR) Program’s post-irradiation examination (PIE) activities at ORNL. The activities include analysis of radionuclide retention after irradiation and high-temperature testing and evaluation of overall TRISO particle fuel performance. The role’s primary focus will be integrating with experimental activities, interpreting fission product release data, and leading integration of ORNL-generated AGR program data into the Nuclear Data Management and Analysis System (NDMAS). The successful candidate will strongly collaborate with staff within the PFF and the Nuclear Fuel Development section.
- Develop a working knowledge of the overall technology and performance of TRISO fuel, as well as specific procedures and results related to PIE and safety testing at ORNL. Lead integration of ORNL PIE data into NDMAS by reviewing and summarizing data into structured formats suitable for archival access and interfacing with colleagues at the Idaho National Laboratory to upload final data files to NDMAS. Interface with PFF research staff to present and report research results and publish results in technical reports and peer-reviewed journals in a timely manner.
- Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health, and quality assurance requirements.
- Effectively communicate and collaborate with other technical staff and interface with staff outside of the home organization to meet research objectives.
- Deliver ORNL’s mission by aligning behaviors, priorities, and interactions with our core values of Impact, Integrity, Teamwork, Safety, and Service. Promote diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility by fostering a respectful workplace – in how we treat one another, work together, and measure success.
- A PhD in nuclear engineering, materials science, physics, chemistry, chemical engineering, or a related field completed within the last 5 years
- Experience with nuclear fuel or materials Experience with data analysis and Excel
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment and set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Please submit three letters of reference when applying to this position. You can upload these directly to your application or have them sent to email@example.com with the position title and number referenced in the subject line.
Instructions to upload documents to your candidate profile:
- Login to your account via jobs.ornl.gov
- View Profile
- Under the My Documents section, select Add a Document
Benefits at ORNL:
ORNL offers competitive pay and benefits programs to attract and retain talented people. The laboratory offers many employee benefits, including medical and retirement plans and flexible work hours, to help you and your family live happy and healthy. Employee amenities such as on-site fitness, banking, and cafeteria facilities are also provided for convenience.
Other benefits include: Prescription Drug Plan, Dental Plan, Vision Plan, 401(k) Retirement Plan, Life Insurance, Pet Insurance, Generous Vacation and Holidays, Parental Leave, Legal Insurance with Identity Theft Protection, Employee Assistance Plan, Flexible Spending Accounts, Health Savings Accounts, Wellness Programs, Educational Assistance, Relocation Assistance, and Employee Discounts.
If you have difficulty using the online application system or need an accommodation to apply due to a disability, please email: ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Q clearance: This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a clearance from the Department of Energy. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse (WSAP) testing designated position. WSAP positions require passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.