Position Title: Director, Academic Laboratories and Field Facilities
State: New Jersey
Categories: School of Natural Science & Mathematics
Employment Type: Management
Post Date: 2023-09-29
Department: School of Natural Sciences & Mathematics
Salary Information: Salary commensurate with experience and is accompanied by an extremely competitive University benefits package
Work Hours: varies
Brief Job Overview/Summary
The School of Natural Sciences and Mathematics is seeking to fill a position for the Director of Academic Laboratories and Field Facilities. This position will manage the academic laboratories and field facilities; supervise and evaluate full-time and part-time lab staff; in conjunction with the Office of Risk Management, oversee lab safety trainings and protocols, lab policies and procedures; coordinate support for faculty-led lab courses and research; manage and coordinate maintenance, calibration and servicing of research and teaching scientific instruments; etc.
Descriptions of Essential Duties/Responsibilities:
Under the direction of the Dean of the School of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, the Director will be responsible for the following:
- Administration and management of NAMS Academic Laboratories and Field Facilities including the on and off-campus sites: the Port Republic Marine Field Station, the College Drive Arboretum, Sustainability Farm, and the Harold Taylor Observatory
- Supervise and evaluate annually all full-time and part-time staff; Manage Radiation Safety Officer, Bio Safety Officer, Chemical Hygiene Office, and NAMS Laboratory Safety Officer
- In conjunction with the University's Office of Risk Management and Environmental Health and Safety, oversee NAMS faculty and staff in OSHA Lab Standards and the training requirements in OSHA Laboratory Standard and Right to Know
- Manage and coordinate the maintenance, calibration and servicing of all research and teaching scientific instruments, including, but not limited to NMR spectrometers, GC-MS, Capillary DNA sequencer, HPLC, AA, UV-VIS and FT-IR spectrometers; develop and recommend a strategic plan for equipment and instrumentation repair and replacement
- Direct and implement the NAMS Laboratory Safety Training program requirements on Blackboard; work closely with Campus Police and the Office of Risk Management to determine access levels to the NAMS Academic Laboratories and Field Facilities
- In conjunction with the University's Office of Risk Management and Environmental Health and Safety, establish and enforce safety policies for all Academic Laboratories and Field Facilities as well as ensuring NAMS compliance with all University, local, state, and federal regulations
- Coordinate NAMS hazardous waste removal, Bio Safety Materials removal, DEA removal, and Radioactive Waste removal in conjunction with the University's Office of Risk Management and Environmental Health and Safety; Supervise Radiation Safety Program and Chemical Hygiene
- Manage the NAMS Laboratory policies and procedures by conducting inspections in conjunction with the University's Office of Risk Management and Environmental Health and Safety; Provide support to the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)
Coordinate with the faculty, lab staff, and Facilities and Planning in the design and renovation and construction of laboratory and field facilities
- Manage, initiate and/or approve all orders for laboratory and field station supplies and equipment, service contracts, and equipment repairs. Maintain a current inventory of all materials, supplies, and chemical reagents, and required Safety Data Sheets and data bases
- In collaboration with the dean, staff, and faculty, develop operational budgets and manage requests for the acquisition of equipment, supplies, and services. Work with faculty and staff to develop external funding opportunities to acquire equipment, supplies, and services
- Provide support to the faculty in the preparation and development of teaching laboratory sections and in faculty-mentored research; coordinate and support professional staff providing direct support to laboratory instruction
- Provide analyses and projections of NAMS budget status in support of teaching and research, including monitoring of accounts as they relate to the purchase and receipt of equipment and supplies for NAMS Laboratory and Field Facilities
- Other duties as assigned by the Dean of the School of Natural Sciences and Mathematics and/or the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Ph.D. in chemistry, biology or related field
Screening of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Applications received by September 30, 2023 will receive full consideration.
SAME APPLICANTS: If you are applying under the NJ "SAME" program, your supporting documents (Schedule A or B), must be submitted along with your resume by the closing date indicated above. For more information on the SAME Program visit their Website at: https://nj.gov/csc/same/overview/index.shtml , email: SAME@csc.nj.gov , or call CSC at (833) 691-0404.
How to Apply:
To apply please visit https://employment.stockton.edu or click the "Apply" button.
Only electronic documents will be accepted. Please complete the online application and include three professional references in addition to the following required documents. All required documents (Microsoft Word of PDF) must be submitted in order for your application to move forward.
- A letter of interest describing qualifications and accomplishments
- Current resume or curriculum vitae
- Unofficial Graduate transcripts
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/aygLDNsblQ2YmIQnI2x6L