Marathon Petroleum Company, the largest petroleum refiner in the United States, is seeking an experienced Chemist for its Refining Analytical and Development (RAD) Department in Catlettsburg, Kentucky. The individual selected for this position will leverage their chemistry knowledge to investigate multiple topics in support of petroleum and sustainable fuels production and for the MPC fuels’ distribution systems including pipelines, terminals, and retail. Areas of support could include but are not limited to feedstock/fuel improvements through additives/process change identification, examining corrosion/deposition for mechanism deduction, test methods development, and new instrument evaluations. Involvement in industry organizations like API, ASTM, and CRC is likely.
Candidates should be highly motivated and believe in delivering results at both a team-focused and an individual contributor level.
-This role is eligible for relocation benefit.
- Become a technical advisor for the company on chemical processes in the petroleum- and bio-refining areas.
- Apply refining process operations knowledge in the coordination of testing materials and the interpretation of analytical results to elucidate fouling/corrosion mechanisms.
- Work closely with refinery engineers and support personnel to develop mitigation protocols.
- Extracts pertinent information and concepts from various technical sources and applies them continually in all work assignments.
- Investigate quality incidents that may occur at the production, distribution, or end-user level.
- Communicate with others both within Marathon, as well as other industry partners in both written and verbal forms.
- Possesses strong multi-tasking abilities.
- Promotes a safety culture.
- Represent RAD at various internal advisory group meetings.
- Represent Marathon in various collaborative projects with industry partners.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in Chemistry or other related discipline is required.
- Doctorate in Chemistry or other related discipline is preferred.
- Five years experience in the petroleum industry is preferred.
- Working knowledge of general laboratory instrumentation with emphasis on Gas Chromatography is preferred.
- Work in the field of corrosion chemistry is preferred.
- Computer skills and experience with MS Office software such as Word, Excel, and Power Point is required.
- Excellent written and verbal skills are required.