Wayne State College is seeking a Biochemistry Faculty Member. Review of applications will begin December 1, 2023.
Nature of Work:
Responsible for providing instruction in accordance with the philosophy and objectives of the College.
Teach Biochemistry I, Biochemistry II, and the associated labs, and other courses in your areas of expertise. Other expectations include mentoring undergraduate science research and service to the department and school. The Physical Sciences and Mathematics Department consists of 12 Full-time faculty and has a dedicated biochemistry lab and equipment including UPLC/MS, CD, DLS, and spectrometers.
Examples or Work Performed:
1. Contribute to students’ academic growth and development, which includes all of the following.
A. Teaching, which includes but is not limited to the following:
- Have knowledge of and enthusiasm for the subject
- Maintain competence in the assigned field of specialization and exhibit professional competence in the classroom, studio or laboratory
- Maintain a classroom environment conducive to learning
- Maintain respect for the student and the student’s posture as a learner
- Organize course and subject matter to acquaint all students with the course requirements including specific objectives, and methods of evaluation
- Organize course presentations through short-term and long-range outcomes
- Present abstract ideas and theories clearly
- Conduct classroom presentations and activities utilizing methods appropriate to reach students of varying educational/experiential backgrounds and learning styles
- Actively engage students in lectures, discussions or laboratories
- Coordinate handouts, video and/or online materials and/or articles to update course content
- Incorporate new methodologies in teaching and technology into classes
- Encourage student to think for themselves
- Be flexible and innovative with teaching styles and approaches, as appropriate to the class
- Be reliable in meeting scheduled responsibilities
- Be accessible to students; post and maintain office hours
- Provide regular and timely assessment of student progress
- Be fair in examinations and grading
- Participate in program assessment and catalog revisions
- Periodically evaluate and develop new courses, where necessary, revise and update existing courses to maintain relevant and current content.
- Participate in program review and updating requirements
B. Advising students, which includes but is not limited to the following:
- Be knowledgeable about college policies and program requirements
- Help students plan programs of study
- Provide students with advice on academic issues and career counseling, tutoring, and other academic support resources
- Assist in the development, implementation, and assessment of the departmental enrollment management plan, including serving directly in student recruitment, retention, and success strategies
- Schedule and maintain availability for student advising
- Establish and maintain timely communication with advisees
- Provide leadership and supervision for student organizations and activities
2. Professional achievement and continual preparation and study through scholarly and creative activity will vary according to the field, examples of which may include the following:
- A. Participate in academic organizations related to teaching assignment
- B. Give scholarly presentations, workshops or performances
- C. Produce scholarly materials such as original or applied research, manuscripts, articles, book reviews, musical arrangements, or works of art
- D. Engage in appropriate professional development to enhance performance as faculty member
- E. Seek external funding through approved grant and contract work related to discipline, as appropriate and assigned
- F. Provide evidence of achievement within and significance of contributions to field
- G. Provide evidence of quality and originality of thought or work and breadth and depth of perspective
- H. Be willing and able to continue individual development and professional productivity as a member of the faculty.
3. Professional services rendered outside the academic discipline in ways other than teaching that contribute to the work of the College vary from individual to individual. Service to the college and community, and profession related to the professional assignment includes the following:
- A. Participate in campus and community presentations
- B. Serve on discipline, department, school, and campus-wide committees and initiatives
- C. Take an active role in discipline, departmental, and school accreditation and reaccreditation activities, as appropriate and as assigned
- D. Periodically evaluate and develop new courses, where necessary, consistent with the role and mission of the institution, school and department
- E. Sponsor student organizations, as appropriate and assigned, and participate in student-based activities
- F. Provide leadership in professional organizations and/or good citizenship in the community at large
- G. Foster and sustain collegial relations with campus, community and profession
- Other duties as assigned by Dean
Education: Terminal degree required; ABD considered. Earned Terminal degree is required for tenure.
Experience: Experience using technology to facilitate student learning and to expand student access preferred.
Wayne State College serves as a model of success for regional public higher education. Investments in infrastructure and facilities, expanded academic programs and partnerships, a whole-campus approach to recruitment and retention, and a commitment to strategic planning position the College as a strong member of the Nebraska State College System. More than 4,500 students rely on Wayne State for access to graduate and undergraduate degree programs in more than 130 programs of study each year, a role the College has proudly filled since its founding in 1891. Our goals are clear: continually improve retention and graduation rates, provide high-quality academic programs and campus facilities, support workforce and economic development in the region, maintain affordability and access, and manage resources for sustainability. We invite qualified applicants to join us in our important work.