Austin Peay State University invites applications for a Chemist at the rank of Assistant Professor. This is a full-time, 9-month tenure-track faculty position commencing August 1, 2024.
The successful candidate will teach lecture and laboratory courses in introductory and general chemistry and develop and teach upper division courses in their area of expertise within the American Chemical Society accredited Department of Chemistry. They will be expected to implement a productive research plan, engage in professional activities, contribute to the growth and development of the department through recruiting activities, serve on University, College, and Department committees, and participate in a variety of departmental activities.
Applicants should include a cover letter, CV, summary of their teaching philosophy, and a research plan that could be completed with undergraduate students as supporting documents to their applicant.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
· Teach lecture and laboratory courses in introductory general chemistry and advanced courses in the candidate’s area of expertise.
· Establish productive student-oriented undergraduate research projects.
· Assist in the development and coordination of new courses (undergraduate and graduate) including traditional and online courses that meet the chemical education needs of the department.
· Serve on University, College, and Department committees.
· Contribute to the growth and development of the department through recruiting activities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Demonstrate willingness and ability to work effectively with colleagues to support the mission of the University, College and Department.
· Be willing to teach at times, places, and modalities necessary to meet student needs.
· Be willing to adopt innovative teaching methods and delivery as appropriate.
· Possess the knowledge, talents, and skills in the discipline to promote effective teaching.
· Demonstrate respect for the diverse learning needs of students.
· Demonstrate the ability to develop and implement curriculum objectives and content for courses offered and taught in one’s curriculum area.
· Demand and maintain high standards and expectations for all students.
· Implement teaching activities and a diversity of teaching techniques, procedures, and resources including application of technology.
· Develop and implement evaluation and assessment techniques that are appropriate for each course.
· Be available, knowledgeable, and demonstrate proficiency in the practice of academic advisement of students.
· Engage in productive research and scholarly/creative activity within the discipline.
· Serve effectively on committees and other appropriate functions that assist in University governance.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
· Ph.D. in Chemistry or related field; all degree requirements for Ph.D. must be complete by date of hire.
· Demonstrated competency in teaching both lecture and laboratory courses in introductory and advanced chemistry by at least 2-3 years of teaching experience.
· Ability to work effectively with students, faculty, staff and the community.
· Evidence of good character, mature attitude, and professional integrity.
· Mastery of common modern instrumental methods of analysis as pertaining to the candidate’s area of expertise.
· A background search will be required of the successful applicant.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- Each applicant must include the names and contact information for three references with your application materials. Many people add this to the end of the CV.
- If you would like to additionally attach Letters of Recommendation to your online application, letters must be dated one year or less from the date of your application. You may attach your letters of recommendation in the “Optional Documents” section under the “Letter of Reference” tab. Letters of recommendation may be sent by email to “firstname.lastname@example.org” or hard copy to “Austin Peay State University, Human Resources Dept., PO Box 4507, Clarksville, TN 37044” with your name and desired position clearly indicated after your online application is completed.
- If granted an interview, unofficial transcripts will be required of applicants and official transcripts will be required of the selected candidate before the candidate will be offered a position. It is highly recommended that you attach unofficial transcripts in PDF format to your online application under the “Unofficial Transcript” tab before finalizing and submitting your application.
- You will not be able to attach your letters of recommendation, unofficial transcripts or any other supplemental document(s) nor modify your application after it has been submitted.
Applicant review will continue until the position is filled.
Please refer all questions to email@example.com
IT IS A CLASS A MISDEMEANOR TO MISREPRESENT ACADEMIC CREDENTIALS
Austin Peay State University is an AA/EEO employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability or age in its program and activities.
The Office of Institutional Culture has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the University’s non-discrimination/harassment policies, 416 College Street, Clarksville, TN 37044, Phone: (931) 221-7267, Email: OEAI-Diversity@apsu.edu.