The Department of Chemistry invites applications for a full-time tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor in organic chemistry, focusing on organic synthesis of materials. The Department (https://chimie.umontreal.ca/english/home/) is recognized nationally and internationally for its excellence in research and teaching. It is located in a new natural sciences complex (https://campusmil.umontreal.ca) with state-of-the-art facilities for materials science, including laboratories for continuous flow chemistry, NMR spectroscopy, X-ray diffraction, and mass spectrometry that are managed by expert staff. Depending on research interests, the successful candidate could be eligible for a position as an IVADO Professor within the IAR3 project for the integration and development of artificial intelligence as tools for innovative research and teaching. IVADO (a research, training and knowledge mobilization consortium in artificial intelligence) is the recipient of a Canada Research Excellence Fund to promote early career research opportunities. As a member of the Department of Chemistry, the candidate could also be affiliated to the newly created Institut Courtois in materials science for blue-sky research.
- Doctorate degree in organic chemistry or a related area
- Postdoctoral research experience
- Excellent publication record
- Potential or demonstrated ability to provide high-quality teaching in organic chemistry
- Ability to create and sustain a research program of international caliber
- An adequate knowledge of written and spoken French language or a strong commitment to
mastering the French language proficiency level required, in accordance with Université de Montréal’s Language Policy;
An institutional learning support program is offered to all professors wishing to learn French or improve their communication skills.
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
The application file sent to the department Chair should contain the following documents:
- Cover letter;
- The cover letter must include one of the following statements: “I am a citizen/permanent resident of Canada” or “I am not a citizen/permanent resident of Canada.”
- The letter should include a summary of the motivation for applying and, if applicable, the pertinence of the candidacy for an IVADO professor position (IAR3) in artificial intelligence and/or an affiliation with the Institut Courtois in materials science for blue-sky research.
- Research proposal (up to 5 pages)
- Teaching philosophy statement (1 page)
- Curriculum vitæ
- Copies of 3 recent publications or research papers
- Three letters of recommendation, which must be sent directly to the department Chair by the referees
The application file and letters of recommendation should be sent by email before November 15th 2023 to:
Jean-Francois Masson, Professor and Chair Department of Chemistry
Faculty of Arts and Sciences
Phone: 514-343-6111, extension 7470