The Department of Chemistry invites applications for a full-time tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor in the field of materials chemistry. The department (https://chimie.umontreal.ca/english/home/) is recognized nationally and internationally for its excellence in research and teaching. It is located in a new natural sciences complex (https://campusmil.umontreal.ca) with state-of-the-art facilities for materials science, including laboratories for continuous flow chemistry, NMR spectroscopy, X-ray diffraction, and mass spectrometry that are managed by expert staff. Applications in strategic areas of the department and the Université de Montréal that will extend research horizons in the fields of inorganic chemistry, materials for sustainable development, and materials related to energy transition are particularly encouraged. Exceptional candidates will also be strongly considered for a Research Chair of the newly created Institut Courtois in materials science for blue-sky research.
- Doctorate degree in chemistry or a related area
- Postdoctoral research experience
- Excellent publication record
- Potential or demonstrated ability to provide high-quality university teaching in chemistry
- Ability to create and sustain a research program of international calibre
- An adequate knowledge of written and spoken French language or a strong commitment to mastering the French language proficiency required, in accordance with Université de Montréal’s Language Policy. An institutional learning support program is offered to all professors wishing to learn French or improve their communication skills.
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
The application file sent to the department Chair should contain the following documents:
- Cover letter; including a summary of the motivation for applying and the pertinence of the candidacy for a chaired professor position in the Institut Courtois in materials science for blue-sky research.
The applicant must include one of the following statements: “I am a citizen/permanent resident of Canada” or “I am not a citizen/permanent resident of Canada” in the cover letter.
- Research statement (up to 5 pages)
- Teaching philosophy statement (1 page)
- Curriculum vitæ
- Copies of 3 recent publications or research papers
- Three letters of recommendation, which must be sent directly to the department Chair by the referees
The application file and letters of recommendation should be sent by email before November 15th 2023 to:
Jean-Francois Masson, Professor and Chair Department of Chemistry
Faculty of Arts and Sciences
Phone: 514-343-6111, extension 7470