Job Description Summary
Positions assigned to this class perform work on specialized fundamental scientific activities and applied research projects across physics, chemistry, materials sciences, planetary sciences, applied mathematics and engineering disciplines. Primary responsibilities include performing work in support of scientific or engineering research which provides practical experience for beginners in a research related field; using advanced skills and knowledge to perform the following non-inclusive list of tasks, perform complex investigative procedures; modifies procedures to accomplish research goals; collect, process and analyze data; run research protocols; assist in preparing reports and/or publications. Positions may rotate through one or more research areas.
Summary of Duties:
The Reactor Operations Engineer, Maintenance, & Operations position is responsible for designing, assessing, approving, and performing research reactor maintenance activities and operations planning in support of fundamental and applied science research projects across the Nuclear Science Center (NSC) and the NSC 1MW TRIGA research reactor. This includes performing work in support of scientific or engineering research which provides practical experience for graduate and undergraduate students, research technicians, and reactor operators; using advanced skills and knowledge to perform the following non-inclusive list of tasks, perform complex investigative procedures; modifies procedures to accomplish operational and maintenance goals; collect, process, and analyze data; and run research protocols.
This position will serve as a senior reactor operator and will ensure quality and safety controls, review regulations, and maintain the operational goals of the facility, as well as makes recommendations and conclusions, which will serve as the basis for decision making in the NSC reactor operations group.
Posting Close Date: Screening for this position will begin on November 12, 2023 and will remain ongoing until the vacancy has been filled.
- A Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate related scientific or engineering discipline and experience performing professional-level work with scientific or engineering research protocols. Any combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis. Experimental and analytical skills; understanding and knowledge of research theory; excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Knowledge of research reactors, reactor safety systems and components, industry best practices, state-of-the- art, infrastructure, regulatory requirements, experience in experimental safety analysis for neutron activation and chemistry experiments.
- Must undergo a fingerprint-based criminal history check.
- Must undergo a full background check.
- Must be a U.S. citizen at time of hire as part of the licensing requirement.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain by time of hire, a valid driver’s license.
- Must receive a favorable trustworthiness and reliability determination by the facility Director and Reactor Supervisor within 12 months of hire and maintain clearance throughout employment.
- Must be able to satisfy all requirements set forth by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission to remain qualified for a senior reactor operator license and SGI clearance access.
- Within nine (9) months of hire, must currently possess or be able to obtain a senior reactor operator license at the NSC reactor.
- Within six (6) months of hire, must obtain a hazardous materials shipping certificate for radioactive materials for domestic air and ground shipping.
- Within six (6) months of hire, must obtain fall protection training, CPR training, first aid training, AED training, and overhead crane operation training.
- Possession of a valid hazardous materials shipping certificate for radioactive materials for domestic air and ground shipping.
- Current or previous reactor operator or senior reactor operator license.
- Experience working with nuclear detector systems and spectroscopy software for radiation measurement and nuclide identification.
- Experience using LabView, AutoCAD, or SOLIDWORKS. Experience in repair and maintenance of analog and digital electronic controllers and systems.
- Experience in handling radioactive and hazardous materials.
- Previous training or education in the fundamentals of nuclear reactor theory and operations.
Additional Job Description
Area/College: Office of Research
Department Name: Nuclear Science Center
City, State, Zip: Pullman WA 99164
Department Link: nsc.wsu.edu
Monthly Salary: $4,508.70-$6,763.06 Typically, candidate's will start up to midpoint of the range. | In accordance with RCW 49.58.110, the above salary reflects the full salary range for this position. Individual placement within the range is based on the candidate’s current experience, education, skills, and abilities related to the position. Successful candidates typically begin up to mid-point of the salary range. For additional information, please review WSU’s Administrative Professional Compensation. WSU offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes paid sick and vacation leave; paid holidays; medical, dental, life and disability insurance package for employees and dependents; retirement; deferred compensation and optional supplemental retirement accounts. For additional information, please review the detailed Summary of Benefits offered by WSU for AP staff and Total Compensation.
Background Check: This position has been designated by the department to require a background check because it requires access to children or vulnerable adults as defined by RCW 74.34, engages in law enforcement, requires security clearance, interacts with WSU students in a counseling or advising capacity, has access to personal identifying and/or financial information, unsupervised access to university buildings/property, or other business-related need. A background check will not be completed until an initial determination of qualification for employment has been made.
Application Instructions: Applicants must attach the following documents to their online application: 1) resume 2) a cover letter and 3) contact information for professional references. Application materials should clearly communicate how the applicant meets all required qualifications and additional requirements.
Apply using the following URL: https://wsu.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/WSU_Jobs?q=R-10519