The Chemistry department at St. Catherine University invites applications for a full-time, tenure track faculty position. The contract is for nine months annually.
The Chemistry department takes a hands-on and practical approach in the lab and in the classroom. Through lab experiences, training in green chemistry principles, and use of modern instrumentation, we prepare chemistry students for a broad range of careers, including medical school, graduate school and industrial careers. Our program is certified by the American Chemical Society and a founding member of the Green Chemistry Commitment. Our program has full-time, tenured faculty in the areas of inorganic chemistry, analytical chemistry and biochemistry. This position will specialize in organic chemistry.
- Teach the equivalent of six undergraduate courses during the academic year (typically three in fall and three in spring term) with the option to teach outside Spring and Fall terms
- Foster a culture of inclusive excellence through authentic relationships with students as an educator, an advisor, and a research mentor
- Teach labs as well as core department courses
- Teach both traditional and adult student populations
- Teach in traditional classroom, online and hybrid environments
- Monitor and assess student-learning outcomes and provide timely and frequent feedback to students on academic performance
- Direct students’ reasonable progress through the major through academic advising
- Develop an active program of research to conduct collaboratively with students
- Monitor curriculum content and make recommendations as appropriate to maintain relevance
- Effectively contribute to the highly collaborative work of the Department
- Consistent with the university’s Catholic identity, its commitment to women, diversity, inclusion, social justice, and dedication to a liberal arts based curriculum, faculty are expected to manifest these themes in their teaching, research, service and accomplishments
- Engage in service to the department, school and university through participation or leadership in committees
- PhD in a chemistry with a specialty in organic chemistry which may include polymers, organic materials, bioorganic, physical organic, medicinal chemistry, or other areas of organic chemistry
- ABD candidates may be considered but must have a completed doctoral degree prior to the start of employment
- Post-doctoral training
- Experience or training with DEI pedagogy
- One year or more of teaching experience in a class as the primary instructor at the college level
- Experience mentoring undergraduate research
- Experience with learning management systems
- Experience teaching and mentoring students in a lab environment
- Experience with green or sustainable chemistry and commitment to contribute to the department’s green chemistry commitment
St. Catherine University seeks creative, and committed faculty who enjoy working in a university climate that promotes cultural diversity, multicultural understanding and cultural fluency. Candidates of color and other groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in higher education are encouraged to apply. Consistent with the university’s commitment to women, diversity and social justice, preference will be given to candidates who manifest these themes in their teaching, research and service.