Unleash Your Potential With Us
As a next-generation public research institution, we are an inclusive community of thinkers, doers, creators, innovators, healers, and leaders striving to shape the future and solve the world’s most challenging problems. No matter what your role is, when you join Knight Nation, you become an integral part of our mission to become a university for the future. You’ll be met with opportunities to connect and collaborate with uniquely talented faculty, staff, and students across 13 colleges and multiple campuses and regional locations. That means greater challenges to tackle, more meaningful opportunities to grow, and rewarding experiences that go beyond a paycheck.
NanoScience Technology Center (NSTC) at the University of Central Florida (UCF) is a multidisciplinary research center established in 2004 with the mission to establish a cutting-edge research program in materials and nanotechnology, provide high-quality training for students and facilitate the advance of innovations to solve real-world technology challenges. NSTC houses 23 core faculty members from the College of Science (COS), the College of Engineering and Computer Science (CECS) and the School of Modeling, Simulation and Training. NSTC has 10 NSF Career Awardees and recipients of major federal grants and an annual research expenditure of $6M.
NSTC invites applicants for one (1) faculty position at the rank of tenure-track assistant professor or tenured associate professor. The research areas of interest include but are not limited to: 1) semiconductor materials and novel devices, 2) growth of semiconductor materials and 3) nanoscale classical sensing and quantum sensing.
The successful candidate’s research is expected to leverage a recent major investment by UCF in cleanroom facilities that enable the fabrication of state-of-the-art micro- and nano-scale materials and devices and advanced semiconductor technologies for next generation electronics and optoelectronics.
- Ph.D. from an accredited institution in Materials Science and Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, or other closely related disciplines is required by the start of the appointment. Evidence of strong commitment to academic activities, including teaching, scholarly publications, and sponsored research.
- Demonstrated research leadership ability and interpersonal skills.
- To be eligible for appointment as a tenured associate professor, the selected candidate must have a record of teaching, research, and service commensurate with a tenured faculty at the rank of associate professor.
- An exceptional record of scholarly research in one or more of the targeted technical areas is highly desirable. A post-doctoral experience in the related research area A history of working with teams, especially ones that span multiple disciplines, is also preferred. A background in semiconductor materials and devices is also desirable.
- Experience performing research tasks:
- Assistant professor: Four (4) years.
- Associate professor: Six (6) years.
Additional Application Materials Required:
UCF requires all applications and supporting documents to be submitted electronically through the Human Resources employment opportunities website, https://www.ucf.edu/jobs/.
In addition to the online application, interested candidates must provide the following materials with their application:
1) Cover letter: In the cover letter candidates must address their background in research and scholarship in the areas noted in the job description and highlight their major research accomplishments and impact.
2) A current curriculum vitae,
3) A teaching statement,
4) A research statement,
5) A list with contact information for three (3) professional references, including email addresses.
The selected candidate will be required to submit official transcripts (and, as applicable, U.S. degree equivalency evaluations) documenting the conferral of their qualifying academic credentials.
NOTE: Please have all documents ready when applying so they can be attached at that time. Once the online submission process is finalized, the system does not allow applicants to submit additional documents later.
Questions regarding this search may be directed to Dr. Debashis Chanda, Search Committee Chair, at Debashis.Chanda@ucf.edu
Special Instructions to the Applicants:
Early applications are preferred.
Job Close Date:
Open until filled
Note to applicants: Please keep in mind that a job posted as ‘Open until filled’ may close at any time without notice. As such, we encourage you to submit your application and all required documentation as quickly as possible to ensure consideration for the posted position.
Are Benefits Important to You?
Working at UCF has its perks! In addition to helping drive change and having a positive impact by supporting our students, staff, and faculty, UCF offers:
- Benefit packages including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, healthcare flexible spending accounts, and an Employee Assistance Program. Paid time off, including annual and sick leave and paid holidays. Retirement savings options. Employee discounts, including tickets to many Orlando area attractions. Education assistance. Flexible work environment.
And more…For more benefits information, go to ‘Prospective Employees’ on the UCF Human Resources website (https://hr.ucf.edu/)
Who Are We?
Founded in 1963 to fuel the region’s talent pipeline and support the growing U.S. space program, UCF is built to make a better future for our students and society. It’s one of the reasons U.S. News & World Report ranks UCF among the nation’s top 20 most innovative colleges, while Forbes, Kiplinger, and The Princeton Review rank us a best-value university. UCF is one of 14 universities nationwide designated as both a Hispanic-Serving Institution and a Research 1 university. With 13 colleges, including a fully accredited College of Medicine, UCF offers more than 220-degree programs between its main campus, downtown campus, hospitality campus, academic health sciences campus, and 11 UCF Connect centers located throughout the region. In addition, UCF extends its reach to communities in and beyond Central Florida by offering complete online programs leading to bachelor's degrees, master's degrees, Ph.D.'s., certificates, and more.
The University of Central Florida is proud to be a smoke-free campus and an E-Verify employer. Unless explicitly stated on the job posting, it is UCF’s expectation that an employee of UCF will reside in Florida as of the date the employment begins.
Additional Requirements related to Research Positions
Pursuant to Florida State Statute 1010.35, prior to offering employment to certain individuals in research-related positions, UCF is required to conduct additional screening. Applicants subject to additional screening include any citizen of a foreign country who is not a permanent resident of the U.S., or who is a citizen or permanent resident but is affiliated with or has had at least 1 year of higher education, employment, or training in China, Cuba, Iran, Russia, North Korea, Syria, or Venezuela.
The additional screening requirements only apply to employment in research-related positions, including, but not limited to faculty positions (including employed visiting positions), graduate positions, individuals compensated by research grants or contract funds, postdoctoral scholar positions, and undergraduate positions.