The College of Engineering (Contact PI: Dr. Weining Wang, firstname.lastname@example.org) and the School of Dentistry at Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU), have a joint postdoctoral position available immediately. The successful candidate will have a unique opportunity to develop and expand upon a diversified technical skill set while making a positive contribution to the areas of biomaterials, biomechanics, as well as biofilms.
Research projects for this candidate will involve the development of novel antimicrobial materials with a focus on the design of antimicrobial surfaces, systematic material characterization, and measurements of the interactions and transport behaviors of bacterial cells on different material surfaces. The candidate will also participate in projects related to oral biofilms. The candidate expects to use the experimental and/or modeling approaches in these projects. In addition, the candidate will be required to summarize the research results, write journal articles, and help with proposal writing.
The ideal candidate shall have a strong educational background in chemistry, materials science, and mechanical or chemical engineering. Preference will be given to candidates with extensive experience in antimicrobial material synthesis and characterization, the ability to perform biomechanical measurements using atomic force microscopy (AFM), biofilm growth and analysis, and demonstrated experience in the journal publication.
- Ph.D. in chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, materials science, or similar fields
- Extensive experience in antimicrobial material synthesis and characterization
- Strong experimental skills in force measurements of bacterial cell-material surface by atomic force microscopy (AFM) or similar techniques
- Experience in transport kinetics measurements of particles/bacterial cells by particle image velocimetry (PIV), microfluidics, or similar techniques
- Experience in biofilm growth, quantification, and analysis
- Demonstrated ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and short turnaround times
- Ability to mentor team members and ensure the highest levels of laboratory safety
The candidate should be able to independently establish experimental systems to develop and evaluate the performance of antimicrobial materials. The candidate has demonstrated the experiences and qualifications described in the job description, as well as a proven track record of publishing in SCI journals.
Candidates must apply for the job through the following website: https://vcu.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/1/home/requisition/4657?c=vcu.
Applications must be completely filled out and will be reviewed upon receipt and accepted until the position is filled. Employment will require the successful completion of background check(s) in accordance with university policies.
Interested candidates are also encouraged to contact Dr. Weining Wang for more details. Email: email@example.com, https://wnwang.wordpress.com/
VCU is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity, and the diversity of its workforce.