Lab Research Supervisor/Group Leader
Budgeted Salary Range: Initial placement will be between $66,600 – $96,200/Year, commensurate with educational background and relevant working experience.
Applicants will be screened on a weekly basis. The position can be filled prior to the removal date.
Under general direction of the Chief Chemist/Lab Manager and the Toxicology Section Head, manage diagnostic testing and related activities in the Organics Analysis Group in the CAHFS Toxicology Section. The position is responsible for the direct supervision of multiple chemists. As Group Leader, assign and coordinate group work assignments. Perform diagnostic, regulatory, and research-related testing in animal tissues, biological specimens and source materials. Assure the quality of the testing and the safety of those working in the lab. Participate in the development of new methods and in publications and presentations related to the work done in the group.
• Advanced degree in Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry or closely related fields or equivalent combination of education and experience in a production laboratory environment.
• Demonstrated experience to provide effective leadership and supervision, including prioritizing workload and scheduling multilevel technical staff to meet strict deadlines with high volume testing numbers, as well as experience to recruit, hire, train, and evaluate the performance of employees, encourage staff development, and perform conflict resolution, corrective action, mentoring and coaching for supervised staff.
• Experience with quality assurance systems and accreditation programs such as AAVLD, NELAP, or ISO 17025.
• Experience operating high complexity mass spectrometry instrumentation including LC-MS, LC-HRMS, and GC-MS and developing and troubleshooting methods on those instruments to achieve optimum qualitative and quantitative results and high efficiency in a production environment.
• Demonstrated experience performing method development and validation of both the sample preparation and sample analysis portions of high-complexity methods, including a clear demonstration of knowledge and understanding of statistics and QA/QC principles to ensure that accurate and robust methods are created.
• Experience at presenting scientific findings through the writing of scientific papers, giving talks, or preparing poster presentations at laboratory, scientific, or grant-related meetings.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA):
• Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills, to interact harmoniously with individuals at all levels of the University and with external clients. Skills to obtain, comprehend, and give adequate consideration to others’ priorities, opinions and concerns. Skills to communicate complex and sensitive information, negotiate and resolve conflicts and promote teamwork.
• Extensive supervisory management experience in a production laboratory environment including performance management, coaching, hiring/terminating staff, and directing the work of others.
• Experience in the analysis of animal-related samples such as tissue, biological fluids, and feed.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA):
• Extensive technical expertise in LCMS and/or GCMS method development and troubleshooting.
This position is a critical position and subject to a background check. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of background investigation including criminal history and identity checks.
To view full job description and submit an on-line application visit UC Davis Career Opportunities at
Job ID# 56256
The University of California, Davis is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer