Assistant Professor in Biochemistry
Location: Chemistry & Biochemistry
Job ID: 607539
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
NAU aims to be the nation's preeminent engine of opportunity, vehicle of economic mobility, and driver of social impact by delivering equitable postsecondary value in Arizona and beyond.
Northern Arizona University serves almost 30,000 students. We are a vibrant community, with 21,000 students in Flagstaff—the home of our largest campus—and the remainder online or at our 20+ statewide locations. Our institution has carefully integrated on-campus education with distance learning, forming seamless avenues for students to earn degrees.
Committed to an inclusive university environment, NAU has all the benefits of a large institution with a personal touch. We carefully balance teaching, scholarship, and service for faculty members. Supporting our core value of student-centrism, NAU's faculty members promote learning and help students reach academic milestones.
Flagstaff is an outdoorsy mountain town with four seasons and a thriving cultural scene. Located at 7,000 feet, Flagstaff houses 70,000 people and sits at the base of the sacred San Francisco Peaks.
For more about inclusive excellence at NAU, visit the https://in.nau.edu/center-for-university-access-and-inclusion/.
About the Department/College
The Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry has 16 faculty committed to excellence in teaching and research. The department currently has over 250 undergraduate majors and offers several Bachelor's and Master of Science degrees in chemistry including two ACS-certified degrees. A 120,000-square-foot Science and Health Building, opened in 2015, houses the chemistry teaching and research activities. In terms of instrumentation, the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry has a Thermo Scientific X Series 2 Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometer (quadrupole mass analyzer), a Nu Instruments Plasma II system multi-collector Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometer, a Thermo Nicolet Nexus 670 Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrometer with a Continuum Infrared Microscope, an Agilent 5977B Series Gas Chromatograph/Mass Spectrometer (quadrupole), Agilent 1260 Infinity II HPLC and Bruker MALDI-TOF Microflex LRF, Varian Mercury Vx 400 MHz NMR spectrometer, and a Varian Unity Inova 500 MHz NMR spectrometer. Faculty research is encouraged to utilize Monsoon, a capacity-type, Linux-based computer cluster with 4076 cores, 26TB of memory, and 27 NVIDIA GPUs interconnected via FDR and HDR InfiniBand. Monsoon has a measured peak CPU performance of 224 teraflops. Monsoon is designed to be flexible and handle a diverse set of research requirements. Additionally, faculty have access to imaging capabilities through the NAU Imaging and Histology Core Facility.
About the Position
The Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry at Northern Arizona University invites applications for a position as a tenure-track Assistant Professor in Chemistry. This position is an academic-year appointment beginning in mid-August 2024. The Department is deeply committed to high-quality teaching and impactful research at the undergraduate and master's levels in a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment. The faculty in Chemistry and Biochemistry at NAU are comprised of 50% women and 22% BIPOC individuals, and the successful candidate will continue to support our shared goal of equitably serving students from all backgrounds, identities, and lived experiences. The candidate will contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community through their teaching, research, and service activities.
The Department has a reputation for involving students in research that leads to academic publications and presentations, and support of this mission is an expectation for the successful candidate for this position. Our mission is to educate students in the fundamental principles of chemistry and to equip them with critical experiential skills and expertise to enable their success in the workforce and the attainment of their personal and professional goals, and the department welcomes applications from those who share this vision.
Expectations associated with the position are as follows:
• Provides excellent instruction in upper-division biochemistry lectures and labs including Biochemistry I and II and the associated Laboratory (CHM 461/CHM 462C/CHM 460L), Fundamental Biochemistry (CHM 360), and graduate-level biochemistry courses.
• Provides excellent instruction in a variety of foundational undergraduate courses within the Department's curriculum that are aligned with the candidate's sub-disciplinary strengths.
• Develops a rigorous research program in biochemistry or a related sub-discipline (e.g., bioorganic, bioanalytical, biophysical, bioinorganic, chemical biology, etc.) that leads to peer-reviewed publications and extramural funding.
• Actively engages undergraduate and graduate (M.S.) students in a robust research program focused on professional training that will provide them with the tools for success within the research workforce in chemistry.
• Contributes positively to a unique academic environment of faculty, staff, and students from all backgrounds, identities, and lived experiences.
• Provides service to the department, college, university, and profession.
• Interdisciplinary research in environmental science, interdisciplinary health, materials science, or astrophysics can provide the candidate with an opportunity to mentor graduate (Ph.D.) students in intersectional applications of chemistry.
This position is posted as Assistant Professor in Biochemistry, which is a working title. The NAU system title for this position is Assistant Professor.
This position is an on-site position which requires the incumbent to complete their work primarily at an NAU site, campus, or facility with or without accommodation. Opportunities for remote work are rare.***
• An earned Ph.D. in Chemistry or closely related academic field conferred by the start date of mid-August 2024.
The educational requirements, experience, and skills preferred, but not necessary, to perform in the position.
• Research experience at the Ph.D. and post-doctoral level in biochemistry or a related field.
• A record of publications in biochemistry or a related field.
• Experience applying for extramural funding in biochemistry or a related field.
• Teaching experience and evidence of effective teaching in chemistry and/or biochemistry.
• Prior experience supervising and enabling the success of students at an institution like NAU.
• Research activities in areas that complement our current university research initiatives including cancer-related biochemistry, materials science, environmental chemistry, and astrochemistry, and that are aligned with areas of distinctive excellence within the “Improving Health” initiative of https://www.azregents.edu/sites/default/files/reports/nau_three_year_trif_plan.pdf (e.g. identifying and addressing health disparities, community health research, and pathogen science).
• Research activities that employ current NAU instrumentation including flow cytometry/cell sorting, HPLC, MALDI-TOF-MS, ICP-MS, GC-MS, confocal microscopy, SEM/TEM, next-gen DNA sequencing, NMR spectroscopy, peptide synthesis, and high-performance computing.
Compensation & Benefits
Anticipated salary range is $70,000 to $75,000. Annual salary commensurate with candidate's qualifications and related experience.
This is a Faculty (FAC) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) or the Optional Retirement Program (ORP); sick leave accruals and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified family members. More information on benefits at NAU is available at the NAU https://nau.edu/Human-Resources/Benefits/. Faculty are hired on a contract basis, renewable according to terms of the http://nau.edu/Provost/Resources-Policies/. Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). Employees will have 31 days from date of hire to enroll in benefits, and their benefits will then be effective the first day of the pay period following their completed enrollment. If a new employee chooses the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) retirement option, participation in the ASRS Plan (and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it) will begin on the first of the pay period following 183 days of employment. New employees who choose to participate in the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP; an alternative to the ASRS plan) will begin to participate on the first day of the pay period following election. The long-term disability plan that accompanies the ORP will begin on the first day of the pay period following election. More information about NAU benefits is available at the NAU https://nau.edu/Human-Resources/Benefits/.
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, an employment history verification and a degree verification (in some cases) prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a fingerprint background check. Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an https://in.nau.edu/police-department/annual-security-and-fire-safety-reports/. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the https://in.nau.edu/police-department/annual-security-and-fire-safety-reports/ is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
Submit Your Application
Vacancy will remain open until filled. Applications received before November 20, 2023 will receive full consideration.
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button at the end of the job description (if viewing this position through the NAU HR website). Otherwise, to view the original post and to apply, proceed to http://nau.jobs, follow the 'Current Openings' link, locate vacancy 607539, and then "Apply" at the bottom of the page.
Application must include (saved as PDF and/or Word documents):
• a cover letter highlighting your particular qualifications for this position;
• a curriculum vitae; and
• names and contact information for three references.
Please do not include any other documents.
If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the https://in.nau.edu/human-resources/employment-application-instructions/ or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process, please contact the Disability Resources Office at 928-523-8773, http://DR@nau.edu, or PO Box 5633, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/4728721
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.