The Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry at the University of Maryland, College Park, invites applications and nominations for Professor & Chair of the Department.
Completion of a new wing of our Chemistry Research Building in 2024 will catalyze a new era in the chemical sciences at the University of Maryland. The incoming Department Chair will join efforts to build up signature research themes including multidimensional biomolecular science, emergent materials for energy and sustainability, and multi-scale molecular science. The Department is dedicated to transformative research and education programs that impact society through the generation and application of new knowledge and the preparation of students for meaningful employment. To meet these objectives, the Department embraces and values faculty who are committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence through individual and team efforts.
The University of Maryland, College Park is the flagship campus of the University System of Maryland and is ideally located close to Washington, D. C., Baltimore, and Maryland’s 270 Technology Corridor. Its faculty enjoy close interactions and collaborations with nearby government laboratories that include NIH, NIST, FDA, NRL, NASA, and ARL.
The Chair is the chief administrative officer of the unit. The Department Chair is expected to:
- Act as the chief representative and advocate for the Department.
- Promote and engage in superior research, teaching, and service in the Department.
- Plan and administer the Department’s budget, in consultation with the Dean and with the advice of the Executive Committee.
- Work with the Departmental Committees on the Department’s long-term goals, faculty appointments, development and retention, and other matters of concern to the faculty.
- Recruit diverse and outstanding new faculty and make recommendations with respect to tenure and promotions.
- Work for recruitment and promotion of highly qualified faculty and staff and to ensure equity and diversity in hiring and personnel decisions.
- Administer all programs of the Department.
- Solicit active participation of Department members in Department affairs.
- Preside over meetings of the Executive Committee and Department Assemblies, as necessary.
- Appoint ad hoc committees as necessary.
- Ensure implementation of the Department Plan of Governance.
- Represent the department in fundraising activities in collaboration with the College.
The Department is part of the College of Computer, Mathematical and Natural Sciences and the Chair reports to the Dean of the College. We are seeking candidates with a Ph.D. who are qualified for the rank of tenured Professor, with outstanding records in research and education and administrative skills and vision to lead the unit.
Applications should be submitted by January 8, 2024 to receive full consideration; however, the search will continue until the position is filled.