Job Summary and Essential Functions
The Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering (CBE) at Drexel University invites applications for a tenure-track position at the level of Assistant Professor with a position start date of September 1, 2024. We are seeking outstanding candidates committed to leading multi-disciplinary, diverse research teams and eager to teach a diverse population of both undergraduate and graduate students.
Drexel Engineering is thrilled to continue its faculty cluster hiring initiative. The Drexel Engineering Faculty Cluster Hiring initiative has facilitated interdisciplinary hiring and enhanced connections across colleges in alignment with thematic areas of our strategic plan. We embrace a collaborative approach that leverages our existing strengths and aims to address critical and significant societal challenges through emerging engineering methods and platforms across:
- Renewable energy and power
- Health, wellness, and medicine
- Smart, integrated cities
- Resource stewardship and sustainability
This is a multi-year process involving faculty across the College of Engineering as well as other schools and colleges throughout Drexel University, aimed at enhancing the research impact of the college; addressing enrollment growth and strategic teaching needs; advancing our commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion; and building on our widely-respected strengths in these rapidly evolving fields.
We seek faculty hires who will catalyze interdisciplinary collaboration across the cluster themes, attract significant external research funding, and enrich our undergraduate and graduate students’ experience.
More About the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering (CBE)
CBE fosters the development of outstanding faculty members. Our current faculty includes one PECASE, eight NSF CAREER award winners, one ONR Young Investigator, and one Fulbright Fellow. CBE research activity lies in four principal areas – Polymer Science and Engineering, Multiscale Modeling and Process Systems Engineering, Energy and the Environment, and Biological Engineering. CBE faculty have a record of outstanding collaborations with other departments in the College of Engineering as well as other colleges and schools at Drexel, including the School of Biomedical Engineering, Science and Health Systems; College of Medicine; College of Nursing and Health Professions; Dornsife School of Public Health; College of Computing and Informatics; and the College of Arts and Sciences.
Drexel University’s College of Engineering strives to create a welcoming, diverse, and inclusive environment. The college recognizes that diversity and inclusivity are required for excellence, and so candidates are encouraged to describe how their work celebrates diversity in their application. Please feel free to consult the Office of Institutional Equity and Inclusive Culture for Drexel University’s position on equality and diversity.
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, or a related field, by September 1, 2024
- A demonstrated record of and commitment to scholarly achievement and excellence.
- Any research expertise related to the College of Engineering’s cluster strategic areas of Energy and Sustainability; Health, Wellness, and Medicine; and Smart, Integrated Cities.
- Preference will be given to candidates with research in either of the following two areas:
- Biotechnology and Biomedicine - this focus is also part of the University-wide research initiative around Cell and Gene Therapy.
- Process Systems Engineering
- Typically sitting at a desk/table
- Typically standing, walking
University City – Philadelphia, PA
This is a full-time Faculty position classified as Exempt. The offered salary is based on the successful candidate’s qualifications and experience, department budget, and an internal equity review.
For information about benefits, please review Drexel’s Full-Time Faculty Benefit Fact Sheet or Part-Time Faculty Benefit Fact Sheet.
Special Instructions to the Applicant
In one PDF, candidates should submit the following:
- A cover letter
- Curriculum vitae detailing educational background, research accomplishments, and work experience
- Research plan
- Teaching plan
- Particularly for candidates who hold BS degrees outside of chemical engineering, the teaching plan should address their ability to teach core undergraduate courses in CBE.
- Names of at least three professional references
- A personal statement, which discusses the candidate’s past experiences, present efforts, and/or future aspirations to promoting equity, inclusion, and diversity in their academic careers.
The deadline to apply is January 1, 2024. Review of applications will begin in December and candidates are also encouraged to submit their full applications as soon as possible for early consideration. For questions, please contact search committee chair Richard Cairncross at email@example.com.