Chief Editor, Physical Review B
The American Physical Society (APS) is a nonprofit membership organization devoted to advancing and diffusing the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals and scientific meetings, as well as its education, outreach, advocacy, and international activities. APS represents 50,000 members, including physicists in academia, national laboratories, and industry in the United States and throughout the world.
The American Physical Society Chief Editor position represents a cornerstone in seamlessly orchestrating our journal's strategic and operational dimensions. This pivotal role encompasses overseeing day-to-day activities and formulating a visionary path for long-term objectives. Working closely with Publications Leadership and Management, the Chief Editor actively contributes to defining and refining the journal's scope, direction, and strategic road map, ensuring its continual relevance and sustainability in the scientific landscape.
The Chief Editor of Physical Review B is responsible for managing a large team of experienced editors precisely, fostering seamless coordination with operational facets to enhance workflow efficiency. Through a collaborative partnership with the Lead Editor, our goal is to curate a journal distinguished by top-tier content tailored to meet the exacting standards of contributors and engage our readership effectively.
We invite seasoned professionals in the field to explore this unique opportunity to make a lasting impact on the scientific community. Apply today to be a catalyst in shaping the future of our esteemed journal.
Strategy & Performance:
- Provide vision and direction for the journal in alignment with APS Publishing strategy
- Carries out horizon scanning for potential threats and opportunities
- Work in partnership with, and consult, the Lead Editor across strategic areas where relevant
- Serve as an ambassador for the journal, building the editorial team’s connections with prominent researchers at conferences or through lab visits, either in person or virtually
- Responsible for the performance of the journal; regularly monitoring its performance, mitigating risks and issues; and planning future developments to grow and improve
- Uphold editorial criteria and design and execute strategies to attract high-quality submissions to the journal and, where appropriate, to the entire portfolio
- Work with the editorial team to lead on new development initiatives (internally and externally) that drive growth and sustainability of the journal
- Actively contribute to ensuring the journals are diverse, equitable, and inclusive
- As a member of the Editorial Management Team, advise the Executive Editor and CPO, foster internal communication, and support initiatives as needed
- Oversee the day to day running of the journal and the operational processes and procedures underpinning activity, ensuring they remain effective and efficient and produce high quality content
- Manage the hiring, onboarding, and training of new editorial staff and academic editors, with support and input from the Lead Editor
- Lead and manage the editorial team, including APS staff editors and academic editors, establishing and communicating transparent expectations for performance and supporting the career development of staff members
- Support the CEA in the selection, recruitment and onboarding of editorial board members
- Work with the CEA and provide them with guidance on the effective running of the board and consistent engagement of its members
- Ensure consistent acceptance criteria, high ethical standards, alignment with Physical Review editorial policy and practice, and competitive processing times
- Manage the review and appeals process for submissions
- Act as primary journal contact for upper editorial management (Executive Editor and Chief Publication Officer) and other departments
- Work with the editorial team and other APS departments to identify sponsorship opportunities, promote journal content and initiatives through a variety of outlets, including social media
- Assume responsibility for allocating the journal’s annual travel budget
- Maintain and promote a productive and positive work environment focused on professional excellence and in alignment with APS Core values
- Handle original manuscripts on a relevant research area for the journal, at a level consistent with the managerial demands of the role
Scope & Relationships:
- The Chief Editor reports to the Executive Editor or the Associate Executive Editor
- 0-10 Direct Reports; 0-20 Indirect Reports, dependent on journal
- Collaboration with Publications Leadership and Management
- May manage consultant editors (0-20)
- PhD in Physics or related field and at least one year of post-doctoral experience
- At least 5 years of scientific editorial experience, preferably in a research area relevant to the journal
- Impeccable track record applying scientific expertise and broad understanding of research toward the evaluation of manuscripts in a critical, thoughtful, and independent manner
- Proven track record of successfully leading projects, supervising teams and mentoring staff
- Excellent stakeholder management and interpersonal skills with a proven track record of making the right connections and building networks both internally and externally
- Commitment to quality peer review
- Uses data and metrics effectively to assess performance
- Proven track record of identifying opportunities for improvement and planning/executing delivery plans to implement those improvements
- Excellent knowledge of the scientific research landscape in the areas of coverage
- Enthusiasm for learning about new research areas and trends in scientific publishing
- Strong sense of integrity and a commitment to a diverse and inclusive research community
- Ability to make prompt independent evaluations and decisions
- Able to manage multiple priorities
- Impeccable writing and communication skills
Location of Work:
APS follows a “remote first” work model, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations. Although this is a “remote first” position, it requires regular and frequent travel to meet with APS publications, editorial, and other staff. Residence in the United States is required. Relocation assistance will not be provided.
In addition to frequent travel to meet with APS staff, this position requires attendance at leadership, scientific, and professional meetings and events as part of its core responsibilities, (up to 20%) to attend conferences and events, and to interact with researchers at research institutions and universities.