Position Overview: Full Professor of Biochemistry
Merrimack College, located 25 miles north of Boston, is excited to announce an opportunity to be part of creating an outstanding regional research university. The School of Arts and Sciences invites applications for an experienced and outstanding biochemist to join our team in Fall 2024. The appointment will be at the Professor level with tenure, and includes the potential to serve as Chair of one of the Life Science departments, depending on the candidate's qualifications and interest.
Merrimack is committed to growing focused areas of research distinction that will allow faculty to make high-impact contributions in their areas of expertise. The successful candidate will help create an interdisciplinary hub for the Life Sciences at Merrimack College. As part of our strategic plan, the Agenda for the Future, we are on the road to R2 status, and we have a longterm vision to launch Ph.D. programs in applied life sciences within the next 5 years.
The successful candidate's research efforts will be supported by Merrimack's new Shared Instrumentation Research Facility (SIRF), a state-of-the-art life sciences research facility. The SIRF is fully equipped with an array of instrumentation and a dedicated lab manager with a focus on supporting research in the life sciences. The new hire will play an integral role in the College's goal of R2 status, and contribute to interdisciplinary research growth between the Sciences in the School of Arts and Sciences, the School of Engineering and Computational Sciences, and the School of Nursing and Health Sciences.
What we offer:
The successful candidate will receive highly competitive start-up packages to support moving their research program to Merrimack College. We are dedicated to providing the necessary resources and infrastructure to enable our faculty to achieve their research goals and contribute to developing a leading-edge research environment, including a robust Office of Sponsored Programs to support extramurally funded research. We also support ongoing professional development to help our faculty stay at the forefront of their respective fields.
Join our mission:
Join us in our institution's mission to create a research university that serves as a hub for innovation and knowledge creation. We believe in the power of research to enlighten minds, engage hearts, and empower lives to transform society and change lives. By focusing on the development of research clusters, labs, and research centers, we aim to create an ecosystem that fosters collaboration, drives technological advancements, and contributes to solving global challenges.
• Ph.D. in biochemistry, or related field.
• Successful record of maintaining a competitively funded research program that is nationally recognized.
• Demonstrated experience in academic administration.
• Sustained record of teaching, service and scholarly achievements consistent with the rank of a tenured professor.
• Demonstrated track record of mentoring junior faculty to successfully pursue and execute extramural research funding.
• Desire to build inclusive and impactful doctoral programs in the life sciences.
Research, teaching and DEi philosophies that align with the Merrimack's Augustinian mission and Agenda for the Future.
• Robust record of NSF and/or NIH funding.
• Record of effective leadership that may include examples of professional training; university growth or new programs; innovation in curriculum; and development of new facilities, funding, endowments, and partnerships.
• Experience with shared governance among faculty with varying titles, ranks, and program specialties.