The Chemistry Department at Saint Michael's College invites applications for the Assistant Professor of Chemistry – Biochemistry (Tenure Track) position. The individual will have a Ph.D. in biochemistry or a closely related field by the time of appointment. Primary teaching responsibilities will be a year-long biochemistry sequence with lab and a single semester comprehensive course geared towards pre-professional health majors. Teaching loads within the Department are 3-3 with laboratories counting as a full course. Our department is approved by the American Chemical Society and has a strong commitment to undergraduate research. The successful candidate is expected to establish and maintain a productive research program that provides opportunities for undergraduate student research. We are equipped with instrumentation and facilities to support a wide range of scholarships. There are also several mechanisms to obtain both extramural and internal funding.
Our lived experience impacts how we self-assess our skills, experience, and qualifications. In particular, data and statistics have shown that candidates who are BIPOC, LGBTQ+, women, people from working-class backgrounds, people with disabilities, and others with minoritized and marginalized identities may not apply to jobs when they do not believe they meet 100% of the requirements and expected responsibilities listed in the job descriptions. Some responsibilities and skills are teachable and can be learned on the job. If you can imagine yourself in this position, bringing value to our students and community and meeting most of what we are looking for, please apply.
Benefits include health, dental, vision, employer paid life and disability insurance, voluntary life, critical illness and accident insurance options, parental leave, flexible spending accounts (healthcare and dependent care), 401(k), employee and dependent tuition benefits, employee assistance program, well-being programs and opportunities, discounted gym membership, paid volunteer time, use of the athletic facilities and the library, and countless opportunities to attend presentations, lectures, and other campus activities.
Applicants must have the following:
- PhD or PhD in hand by August 1, 2024, in biochemistry or a related field
- College-level teaching experience
- Willingness to integrate into and work with a dynamic team of student-centered colleagues
An offer of employment will be contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.
Please be prepared to attach the following documents after clicking on Apply Now button:
- Curriculum vitae
- Cover Letter highlighting your most relevant qualifications for this position
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- A one-page statement describing your skills, experiences, and activities that foster and support equity, inclusion, and belonging in and outside the classroom for students of all backgrounds and identities, particularly those who are marginalized and minoritized
- Summary of proposed research program, including roles for student collaborators
- Names of three (3) references
For full consideration, please submit application materials by February 16, 2024. The position remains open until filled.
For a complete job description, benefits information, and to apply online, please visit: https://egqw.fa.us2.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX_13/job/1267/?utm_medium=jobshare